Provide a leadership role in the delivery of value-addedrisk-basedaudit services for specific areas to includecompliance/regulatory, management and compliance-related activities. Evaluate and recommend improvements to control structures andrisk management processes. Develop and maintain specialization and expertise in specific areas of Consumer Regulations and Anti Money Laundering (AML)/Bank Secrecy Act (BSA). Ensure reviews are completed within guidelines ofAudit Services policies and procedures. Provide senior management, Executive Management and theAudit Committee withaudit results to effectively assessrisk management control and governance structure ofaudited lines of business. Interact with line of business (LOB) managers and regulatory examiners. Effectively challengerisk management and governance framework and control structure of highly-complexauditareas previously noted.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Provide guidance on critical and complex compliance-related audit risk review assignments:
a. Assume responsibility for project management;
b. Assist with developing the audit program and scope, organizing and using resources effectively to complete assignments within budget;
c. Analyze process documentation to evaluate effectiveness and efficiency;
d. Review associates work papers to ensure quality and sound judgment;
e. Make appropriate recommendations and report results of audits;
f. Address material issues with senior management;
g. Monitor the remediation of audit- identified compliance issues.
2. Partner with business unit (BU) managers related to Consumer Regulations and AML/BSA to support and improve risk management:
a. Maintain thorough level of understanding of the business strategies of BB&T, each BU, and the specific area or process under review;
b. Be very knowledgeable of the organization, operations, policies, and procedures (including banking laws and regulations) under which BB&T operates;
c. Challenge management on the establishment of internal controls, monitoring techniques and risk management;
d. Review the incorporation of risk management in the implementation of new systems, processes, and changes to existing systems and procedures;
e. Represent Audit on complex and/or critical bank committees;
f. Utilize expertise in financial services;
g. Monitor the implementation of the enterprise and BU projects with compliance impact.
3. Develop and maintain specialization and expertise in assigned BUs. More specifically Compliance and BSA/AML Management encompassing compliance/regulatory risk management.
4. Keep abreast of current trends, new developments, technologies, and practices in the auditing profession, banking industry, and compliance guidelines and practices.
5. Serve as coach for areas of specialization. Continue developing knowledge of auditing. Pursue continuing education and possible additional professional certifications, as appropriate.
6. Provide leadership in development of team members. Take an active role in the training and mentoring of new and junior team members. Be a client service champion by consistently modeling world standard client service delivery.
7. Develop and maintain communications with management in areas of specialization to ensure effective working relationships.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field, or equivalent education and related training
2. Professional certification, such as CIA, CPA or CISA or CRCM or other relevant certification
3. Eight years of previous audit or compliance-related experience, preferably in large financial services organization
4. Ability to work independently without supervision
5. Substantial leadership experience, advanced client service consulting skills and ability
6. Excellent project management and consulting skills
7. Excellent critical thinking, analytical, facilitation, interpersonal and decision-making skills
8. Excellent written, verbal, and negotiating skills
9. A broad understanding of banking and financial services
10. Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products
11. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Master’s degree in Business or Juris Doctorate
2. Completion of Graduate School of Banking