- Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) is an industry leading technology company that enables customers to go further, faster. With the industry's most comprehensive portfolio, spanning the cloud to the data center to workplace applications, our technology and services help customers around the world make IT more efficient, more productive and more secure.
- The effective management and leveraging of HPE’s intellectual property, on behalf of HPE’s global business units, across the full range of IP transactions, is a key function within HPE’s Office of the General Counsel.
- HPE’s Office of the General Counsel is leading the way for in-house legal departments through our client-first orientation, unique approach to talent development, innovative use of tools and technology, and commitment to pro bono work.
- Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, Intellectual Property Transactions & Counseling, the successful candidate will provide IP transactional support to business unit clients. The successful candidate will also support M&A, monetization and other special projects as needed.
- Provide business-focused IP solutions to all levels of management within the supported client group. Handle complex IP and technology transactions such as license agreements, joint development agreements, university collaboration agreements, NDAs and other IP agreements.
- Advise business team and commercial Legal on IP risks in a compressed-timeline, business-critical deal environment.
- Handle due diligence, contract negotiation and integration for IP issues in a wide variety of M&A deals.
- Communicate HPE’s IP strategy effectively at all levels within HPE’s organization and prevent loss of IP value by obtaining the best possible IP terms for HPE in a wide range of transactions.
- Prepare and review submissions to HPE’s IP Approval Board for escalation, review and approve non-standard IP terms, review HPE’s participation in standards setting organizations and patent pools and work on other non-product related IP out-licensing.
- Responsibilities include agreement drafting and negotiation.
- Responsibilities may include infringement and evidence of use analysis, invalidity analysis and preparation and presentation of claim charts.
Experience and Qualifications
- 8-10+ years of experience and success in providing intellectual property transactional counseling in a high technology environment in IP lawrequired.
- Must have agreement drafting and negotiation experience. Must have an interest in supporting high visibility, time-sensitive deals. Strong understanding of intellectual property lawrequired with a focus on patent law.
- Strong team player with excellent collaborative and influencing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to deliver executive level presentations and an ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of clients, business partners, competitors, opposing counsel and others.
- Appropriate technical degreerequired (EE, CS, Physics or equivalent)
- Industry knowledge in appropriate technology fields is a plus
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree, Bar qualification
- USPTO/EPO/JPO Admission (or equivalent) required
- Location: Palo Alto, CA (preferred); Houston, TX; Berkeley Heights, NJ; Herndon, VA
- Some travel may be required
- Please attach a resume
Job ID 1013004