CHS has an exciting opportunity in our Legal team. We are looking for a Senior Attorney whose primary role will be to partner with the General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel and outside counsel to provide legal advice to leaders within CHS' Energy division. You must have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, tempered by an appreciation of legal complexity and risk. You must also have excellent communication skills and the ability to manage multiple, changing priorities efficiently, using discretion and judgment in executing assignments with high confidentiality, and the ability to work collaboratively with others and with a team approach to issues.
- Advise business leaders on compliance with environmental laws.
- Provide updates and training to business units on changes in environmental laws.
- Draft and negotiate contracts for engineering, design and construction of business facilities and processes.
- Prepare commercial agreements for the purchase and sale of energy related products and services.
- Assist business units in developing efficient and thorough processes for contracting and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Work with business leaders and outside counsel in responding to requests from regulatory agencies.
- Assist inside and outside advisors during the purchase and sale of real estate interests used for pipelines, terminals and other energy assets.
- Advise on laws and regulations governing transportation of energy products.
- Develop strong, trusted working relationships with management at high-tech manufacturing and transportation facilities, including oil refineries, lubricant manufacturing, pipelines and trucking.
- Work with CHS' in-house litigation management counsel to manage outside counsel in lawsuits affecting certain energy business units, and provide regular updates to business leaderson progress, outcome potentials and appropriate financial reserve levels.
- Oversee a network of preferred firms, training them on CHS's business, communication, budgeting and reporting strategies.
- Negotiate meaningful fee reductions as part of the preferred vendor status.
- Partner with legal operations leader to ensure efficient internal billing and matter management processes.
- Champion and promote a strong safety culture, follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations, identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
Basic Qualifications: (required)
- J.D. Law Degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Active member of a state bar in good standing
- 5 plus years of contract law and environmental law experience
Preferred Qualifications: (desired)
- Substantial knowledge, expertise and experience in energy product production and transportation (including oil refining, lubricant manufacturing, propane sale, pipelines and transportation)
- Chemical or mechanical engineering background a plus
- Extensive experience developing strong partnerships with business leaders
- Supervisory experience
CHS offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation , 401K, Company Funded Pension, Profit Sharing, Long and Short Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance. This position will have opportunity for growth.
CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States. Diversified in energy, grains and foods, CHS is committed tohelping its customers, farmer-owners and other stakeholders grow their businesses through its domestic and global operations. CHS supplies energy, crop nutrients, grain marketing services, animal feed, food and food ingredients, along with insurance, financial and risk management services. The company operates petroleum refineries/pipelines and manufactures, markets and distributes Cenex® brand refined fuels, lubricants, propane and renewable energy products. CHS is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Minority, Female, Veteran, Disability, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.