5 - 7 years
Posted 303 days ago
The Process Development team is seeking a Senior Associate Scientist or Scientist I with experience developing and optimizing early-stage microbial fermentation processes for the production of small molecules. This individual should be well-versed in fermentation science and process control and have a good understanding of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism and biosynthetic pathways. In some cases, the individual should take into consideration scalability of the process, which includes not only fermentation but also separation and purification. We are specifically seeking an energetic, creative, and highly self-motivated individual that enjoys challenges in fermentation development. The successful candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, other fermentation scientists, and downstream chemists and engineers.
* Design and analyze fermentation experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains and meet project goals for yield, productivity, purity specifications, and other process parameters.
* Demonstrated ability to optimize fermentation processes and apply new process technologies and strategies when relevant
* Collaborate with:
* Operations team and fellow process development scientists to ensure that experiments are designed and executed effectively
* Molecular biologists to understand the impact of genetic changes on strain performance
* Communicate with internal stakeholders through meetings and clearly written emails, reports and presentations
* Responsible for individual and co-worker safety and maintain safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies
* BS in Chemical/Bio-Chemical Engineering/Microbiology/Biology/Food Science with a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience or a MS with at least 4 years of experience.
* Experience in designing and analyzing microbial fermentation experiments is required.
* Experience in using tools and software to analyze large datasets is preferred.
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are an essential characteristic of a successful candidate due to the highly collaborative nature of the position
* Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects
* Strong organization, problem solving, and quantitative analysis skills are critical
* Ability to deliver clear, compelling and effective technical presentations to colleagues and managers
* Microbial fermentation experience.
* Scale up experience preferred
* Cost modeling understanding preferred
* Experience in using the design of experiment (DoE) methodology for the optimization and characterization of fermentation processes preferred