Senior Associate Scientist, Fibrosis Biology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. As a research-based biopharmaceutical company, we are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing medicines to patients in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases.
We are growing a diverse team of professionals and an atmosphere of inclusion across departments. We need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier. Join a close community where every voice is heard - where you can see and measure the results of your contributions.
Our values - integrity, inclusion, teamwork, accountability and excellence - are evident in everything we do.
Senior Associate Scientist, Fibrosis Biology
The successful candidate will work in a project team-based research structure to lead or support biological investigation of new and established targets within Research. The candidate will be expected to identify key questions and design hypothesis-based experiments that support established programs moving into development, as well as identify and/or evaluate new targets in fibrotic diseases that complement our current portfolio. The position will require both good communication and managerial skills in order to interface effectively with other functional support groups (eg. medicinal chemistry, drug metabolism, formulations, high-throughput biology) to effectively develop new drugs. The candidate will also have opportunities to oversee and/or directly manage new and established external collaborations and participate as an engaged member of the highly interactive Biology department.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a group that focuses on identifying new targets for the treatment of NASH and IPF. The successful candidate will join these efforts and work on evaluating and validating the targets by using variety of in vitro and in vivo assays.
• Independently design, perform and manage in vitro experiments including primary rodent and human cell cultures to support validation of novel therapeutics
• Assess therapeutic potential and mechanism of action of new drugs both in vitro and in vivo by analysis of tissues and plasma from pre-clinical rodent models
• Work with CROs and academic collaborators to design/coordinate preclinical studies and sample analysis
• Present results of work, interpret data, draw conclusions, and make recommendations to management
• Proactively troubleshoot technical issues and recommend solutions based on observations and literature searches
• Maintain familiarity with scientific literature and apply knowledge to research projects
• Demonstrate strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills to communicate ideas, objectives and results
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Prior knowledge and research experience in fibrotic diseases or inflammatory diseases is preferred
• Prior experience working with different types of primary human cells is desirable
• Strong background in cell signaling is preferred
• Experience with flow cytometry a plus
• Knowledge and experience on target validation via gene expression modification systems such as siRNA and CRISPR/Cas9 is desirable
• Previous work on target validation is desirable
• Strong analytical and computer skills are required, including proficiency with basic data analysis programs (Excel, GraphPad Prism) and application of statistics is preferred.
• Applicants must have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), and strong organizational and planning skills.
• The successful candidate must be able to manage multiple projects at any given time, and work in a fast-paced, cross-functional and highly collaborative team environment.
• Independently designs and executes complex experiments using appropriately selected methods and techniques to discovery of drugs, the development of drug candidates, and the identification and validation of drug combinations
• Demonstrates and applies advanced level of understanding and analytical skills to interpret data and draw conclusions within the broader context of project goals; critical and creative thinker
• Strong resourcefulness to troubleshoot and optimize assays as needed, identifying and applying novel techniques or proactively seeking out solutions
• Strong working knowledge of immunology, inflammation, and/or cell biology; stays current with regard to scientific literature and applies knowledge
• Serves as an area expert with notable depth for projects and colleagues; provides direction to Research Associates or members of project teams in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation
• Writes and distributes technical reports and presentations. Uses excellent verbal and written communication skills to disseminate information to direct colleagues and broad audiences.
• Works independently with minimal supervision and can prioritize a broad workload with strong time management skills
• Ability to work productively in cross-functional teams, demonstrating strong inter-personal skills
• Team-oriented, enthusiastic and flexible
• Minimum requirement: Master's with 13+ years or Bachelor's with 14+ years of relevant experience in the fields of biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, and immunology. Level is flexible commensurate on candidate's experience.
• MS or BS degree with extensive industry experience and a track record of positive impact on project goals. PhD with 0-3 yrs may be considered for Research Scientist level.
• Experience in using and understanding modern molecular biology and biochemical techniques including methods to evaluate cell signaling (western blot, immunoprecipitation,), immunoassays (i.e. ELISA), gene expression analysis (i.e. RT-PCR, Nanostring, RNAseq).
• Ability to develop novel cell-based assays is required
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually, and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
Valid through: 5/3/2021