Leads and manages all development and fundraising activities for the Department of Athletics including supervision of fundraising staff within The Bulldog Foundation. The Bulldog Foundation is a separate non-profit organization that is responsible for providing funding of student-athlete scholarships.
This position is required to ensure that the department and staff operate in compliance with all policies, rules and procedures of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Mountain West Conference, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), California State University (CSU), and California State University, Fresno.
This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics and works in partnership with University Advancement to ensure coordination of prospect identification, assignment, cultivation, solicitation, gift acknowledgment, and stewardship. This position also serves as the primary liaison with The Bulldog Foundation Board of Directors.
The salary is competitive and is negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position with an attractive benefits package which includes but is not limited to: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; 12+ paid holidays; excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance; and retirement benefits.
The essential functions of the job include but are not limited to:
- Reports to the Director of Athletics and assumes administrative responsibility for proper and progressive operation of The Bulldog Foundation.
- Serves as a member of the Director of Athletics senior administrative staff- providing updates regarding University and Athletics development initiatives and activities.
- Ensures proper direction and training of all development staff.
- Works closely with University Development and other campus Directors of Development to coordinate prospect assignments as well as ensure that Athletics Development initiatives and endeavors operate in accordance with California State University and University policies regarding gift processing, acknowledgments, gift reporting and fulfillment.
- Provides recommendations to the Director of Athletics on matters related to development activities and donor strategies.
- Responsible for developing and implementing a strategy for the annual fundraising development plan, which is designed to meet the annual goals and priorities of the Athletic Department.
- Responsible for identifying, cultivating and soliciting potential major donors for Capital projects, endowments, and planned giving. Facilitate and participate in solicitation visits in conjunction with the Director of Athletics, Head Coaches, and other senior campus administrators as deemed appropriate.
- Facilitates introductions, meetings, and events to create interaction among donors, sponsors, and key Athletic Department personnel.
- Provides administrative and operational oversight for all Athletics fundraising efforts including sport clubs, alumni relations, Club Red and the Annual Scholarship Fund.
- Works with the Director of Ticket Operations in the development and execution of the annual fund, priority-seating program and season ticket sales.
- Supervises the fulfillment of skyboxes in Bulldog Stadium including serving as the primary liaison for suite holders.
- Assists the Director of Athletics with the selection, engagement and stewardship of current and prospective donors for games and other events held in the Athletic Director’s suite.
- Prepares monthly fundraising/status reports for The Bulldog Foundation and University Advancement.
- Maintains positive working relationships within the Athletics Department, University, and community.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Reports directly to the Director of Athletics and works closely with University Advancement to ensure collaboration and coordination
- In consultation with The Bulldog Foundation Board of Directors, provides daily supervision of the Executive Director of The Bulldog Foundation and ensures the annual fundraising complements the strategic plan for the Department of Athletics and the University.
- As requested, provides fundraising reports to the Athletic Corporation Board of Directors.
- Fosters and maintains relationships with Athletic donors in a manner that will enhance and further the strategic objectives and priorities of the Athletics Department.
- Participates as needed on various University and conference committees.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degreerequired, major in business, marketing, public relations/communications, kinesiology, or sports administration preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience managing a development department for a Division I athletics program and or a comprehensive intercollegiate athletics program.
- Proven ability to develop donor relationships and successfully solicit major gifts.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Master’s degree in sports administration or business administration.
- Experience managing and growing an annual scholarship fund generating over $3.5 million per year.
- Experience with developing a capital campaign for a comprehensive intercollegiate athletics program and/or a Division I athletics program.