WIRED seeks an inspired senior art director. You are an experienced designer who’s eager to build on WIRED magazine’s gutsy visual heritage and you embrace design that considers digital platforms at every step of the process. WIRED is a fast-paced publication on digital platforms and in print—an investigative story or news-driven profile may change quickly close to print production deadlines. You must be ready to juggle those updates and manage a workload of short- and long-term assignments.
The senior art director works alongside editors, writers, photo editors, social media producers, digital producers, and WIRED’s video team to create inventive design solutions. You are expected to develop a strong understanding of WIRED’s print and digital platforms, including their editorial goals, engagement objectives, visual language, and audiences.
This position reports to WIRED’s design director.
- Works with the design director and editorial team to develop top-level design and strategy
- Art direct and design features and magazine covers
- Help oversee print and digital projects, as directed by the design director
- Commission original artwork, including illustrations, infographics, icons, and animations
- Create digital designs, animations, icons, and layouts
- Manage templates and style sheets
- Works with the design director and the managing art director to make sure that all digital and print design projects are properly tracked, meet timelines, and budget objectives
- Provide leadership on projects and help motivate and inspire designers on your team
- Multidisciplinary artist with a strong portfolio of work designing across a wide range of platforms: digital, print, social, video, and more. Good typography and layout skills.?
- At least five years working in a fast-paced editorial setting
- Demonstrated experience commissioning original artwork
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in creating engaging design for mobile audiences
- Experience using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience using Sketch and basic CSS are a plus