Summary of Major Responsibilities
The field-based Senior Area Manager is responsible for leading a team of Gastroenterology Specialty Representatives within a designated area in a Region. The Area Manager is responsible for the effective promotion of Exact Sciences’ products to gastroenterology physicians and their practices, integrated delivery networks (IDNs), Multi-Specialty clinics and other health care providers within the designated area. The Area Manager will recruit, train, coach, lead and provide performance management for the Gastroenterology Specialty Representatives in addition to directly promoting Exact Sciences’ products. Area Managers will also oversee and effectively participate in the development of relationships and build advocacy for cancer screening and Cologuard among the gastroenterology community in the assigned area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully manage 8-12 direct reports including the recruitment and selection of highly qualified Gastroenterology Specialty Representatives, ensuring effective training and development of the sales force and providing coaching and ongoing performance management of the team.
- Travel with direct reports in order to observe and provide training and coaching.
- Through area team, successfully forecast and achieve quarterly and annual sales goals.
- Manage the assigned area’s sales targets and maintain ongoing reporting of progress with management team.
- Establish and maintain ongoing communication and team operating mechanisms to ensure appropriate information is shared and collaboration within and outside of the team is taking place.
- Responsible for ensuring sales force compliance in all Quality, Regulatory and Company policies and guidelines.
- Proactively identify and build strong relationships and advocacy with key gastroenterology thought leaders and decision makers in assigned area.
- Demonstrate effective leadership; drive effective performance through coaching, motivating & inspiring team of territory managers; provide clear expectations, ongoing feedback and opportunities for continuous development.
- Collect ongoing customer insights, market trends & competitive data from sales force and communicate to leadership and peers.
- Leverage up-to-date product and technical expertise to effectively present and discuss the technology and clinical benefits in terms which are relevant to customers.
- Ensure the effective use of sales process and approved product marketing and product promotion material by regional sales force.
- Effectively collaborate with Account Managers and commercial team members to optimize business performance within health systems within assigned area.
- Leverage Medical Science Liaisons, Account Managers and other Company resources as necessary to provide the necessary technical, clinical and business content to create a competitive differentiation and deliver solutions that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Effectively manage open territories while recruiting for new personnel should a territory be vacated within designated area.
- Leads and is engaged in regional and national projects.
- Model and share best practices nationally.
- Participate on cross functional headquarter projects having a positive business and/or culture impact.
- May serve as the back up to the Area Director.
- Mentors individuals within or outside the commercial organization.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 50% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing and or walking for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 20% of a typical working day.
- Ability to travel approximately 60% of working time within assigned area and some travel outside of assigned area for regional or national meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5+ years of experience in a customer-facing sales role in a medical, healthcare or technical field.
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership capacity.
- 1+ years of experience selling and/or leading a sales team in gastroenterology or other specialty practice or health system settings.
- Demonstrated skillset in effective sales process and deal closure.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively train and educate others.
- Proven, effective time management, expense reporting, prioritization and delegation skills.
- Effective English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding influencing, interpersonal and networking skills to drive successful relationship building.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with demonstrated experience reporting and tracking sales force metrics.
- Effective presentation skills; able to present ideas to customers in a way that produces understanding and impact.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Possession of a valid driver's license, no more than two moving violations in the past 36 months, and no unresolved license revocation or suspension issues.
- Maintenance of sufficient driver’s insurance to satisfy any applicable state or local requirements and at least $250,000 per person and $500,000 per accident in coverage.
- Experience with sales/marketing of products or services directly to gastroenterologists and their practices.
- Experience in a sales leadership role during a product launch.
- Experience using/coaching to Challenger Sales Model.
- Advanced degree.