NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs, builds and preserves public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. NYC Parks cares for 14% of the land in New York City, and a diverse array of structures sit on these public spaces. These structures include recreation centers, sporting facilities, historic houses, pool facilities, nature centers, marinas and comfort stations.
The Architecture unit in the Capital Division designs, restores and/or modernizes existing or new Parks structures, ranging from a new recreation center to a historic house renovation. This work impacts neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout New York City. With a team of 3 to 4 junior staff, the Senior Architect has a portfolio of about 4 to 5 projects as diverse and complex as Parks structures.
The successful candidate has proven technical expertise and excellent project management skills. He/she understands and enjoys the nature of publicly funded projects and their importance to local communities. The ideal candidate has the ability to listen, design and effectively communicate design and construction concepts to community stakeholders. Working in a multi-disciplinary team setting with other disciplines (e.g., engineers, landscape architects), the ideal candidate is a champion of their portfolio and can troubleshoot and problem solve to realize projects.
You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package, including pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
- Under direction, design major projects that may include new building construction, historic preservation and/or renovation of existing structures. Complete and/or review all drawings, specifications and estimates necessary for successful bid and construction. Develop requests for proposals to obtain architectural or engineering consultant services as necessary.
- Participate in all phases of projects from scope development, schematic design and contract documents through construction administration and project closeout.
- Direct and manage work on in-house projects and supervise consultants to produce complete, thoughtful, sustainable and technically excellent designs. Coordinate multiple technically complex projects simultaneously. Maintain accurate project data and manage project milestones to ensure timely completion of work.
- Supervise and mentor junior architectural staff. Review documents for constructability and bid readiness.
- Present projects to other internal and external stakeholders.
- Review sites and designs with construction and maintenance personnel. Conduct site inspections to ensure design compliance.
- Actively contribute to the architecture unit’s development of production standards and systems.
A valid New York State Registration as an Architect. Current New York State Registration as an Architect must be maintained for the duration of the employment.
Job ID No. 322800