Application architects standardize an organization's application development environment, providing strategic coordination as well as tactical governance. They focus on complex projects and application elements to provide consultation services in the technology space which spans horizontally across business domains (e.g. user interfaces, messaging/middleware, caching, persistence, etc.) to all levels across the organization. In addition, they make significant contributions by drafting key elements of application architecture and act as a thought leader across multiple teams by maintaining a strong working relationship with internal and external partners. It is expected that application architects use tools such as analysts, webinars, and in-person training events to stay connected and up-to-date on current and future technology trends in order to analyze how best they serve the business and to identify solutions to complex problems regarding platform technologies. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required to provide technical expertise and recommendations for solutions and initiatives.
- Establish and maintain an integrated architectural framework across the firm’s application environment to ensure application, information and infrastructure integration work effectively and efficiently, enhancing security, reliability and availability
- Identify gaps or underperforming elements in the enterprise application space and work with the Enterprise Architects to create new or upgraded capabilities to fill those gaps
- Research, document and maintain the existing and future application architecture reference architecture artifacts
- Ensure proper governance is followed for projects/initiatives, including adherence to IT policies, procedures, and processes that have been approved at the director level
- Ensures that project approaches meet the overall Architectural Principles and standards for the firm (such as performance, scalability, reliability, etc.)
- Engage on projects to refine requirements from an application perspective and partner with the otherarchitecture disciplines to produce engagement deliverables, including application modeling, system interaction contracts, and the proper use of standards
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering
- 10 years of related experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Extensive experience with core Java & JEE as well as some experience with related platforms (.NET)
- Knowledge of open source and commercial landscape of mainstream applications and frameworks
- Experiencedesigning application architecture and standards establishment
- Experience with high performance / low latency systems, preferably in the financial industry
- Experience with cloud architectures is desirable
- Military education or experience may be considered in lieu of civilian requirements listed.