onX is seeking a motivated Senior Android Engineer with a passion for innovation and being on the leading edge of Android development. As an onX Android Engineer, you will implement the latest mapping and Android technologies to meet the needs of outdoor enthusiasts. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a dynamic startup focused on making an impact on the business, and the mobile mapping industry as a whole. You'll work on a cross-platform team alongside iOS, web, and backend engineers with a designer and product manager. This position will report to the Director of Engineering.
LOCATION: Bozeman, MT; Missoula, MT; or Remote. Additionally, being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. We do not sponsor work visas (of any kind ) for this position at this time.
WHO YOU ARE
- Leader. You set a great example in the code you write, breaking a trail for your teammates to do their best work as well.
- Collaborator. You work well with other talented people in other disciplines.
- Problem Solver. You’re pragmatic and thoughtful in shipping software people rely on.
- Curious. You love learning about our customers. You leverage the tools we have and look for opportunities to improve.
(Essential Job Duties)
- Develop new user-facing features in our Android app with Kotlin
- Write reusable code and libraries for future use
- Maintain an “offline first” application that must work with or without service
- Store data locally using a combination of SQLite, Shared Preferences, and disk caching
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed, scalability, and battery life
- Participate in Android platform leadership and craft best practices that help the team succeed
- Work closely with a product manager to own the work stream and sprint planning
- Mentor junior software engineers to help them learn and grow
- Bachelor's degree in software engineering, computer engineering, computer science or related degree required.
- Minimum seven (7) years of professional software development experience required, where Android development (Kotlin and/or Java) was your professional focus for five (5) or more years.
- Must have worked on an app that has been released to the Google Play Store, either as an individual or member of a team.
- Strong CS Fundamentals such as algorithms and data structures. Yes, they are needed here.
- Experience with gRPC and/or REST
- Experience with SQLite or other relational databases
- Understanding of best practices and architectural patterns such as MVVM.
- You are excited to work with experienced developers and write great code
- You’re fun to work with
- You get stuff done
- You take ownership
- Experience with Geospatial tools and libraries
- Experience with MapBox is strongly preferred
- Ability to understand and review code written in Go and Swift to better collaborate with your team
- Experience using WorkManager API
- Experience with cross-platform libraries and code using JNI
- Understanding of concurrency in Android
- Familiar with GCS, Firebase, Kubernetes, microservices, or Docker