athenahealth is seeking mobile application developers to help us re-envision the #1 mobile medical app. You’ll be working on Epocrates, the most trusted mobile medical app in the US, serving as an indispensable daily tool for 50% of the doctors in the US. You’ll be joining an existing team of entrepreneurs and talented engineers, UXers and product people working to ship value every sprint.
The right candidate should have a track record in building and shipping mobile applications, and be comfortable in uncharted product territory. Startup experience is a plus.
At athenahealth, we believe that diverse teams are the strongest teams. We invite applicants of all genders, races, ethnicities, nationalities, ages, religions, sexual orientations, disability statuses, educational experiences, family situations, and socio-economic backgrounds.
We are a rapidly growing engineering team building Epocrates, the #1 medical reference app with 1 million active users, used by 50% of doctors in the US every day. We are modernizing our platform and developing new products to help our users communicate, treat patients, share information, and collaborate across their network. Our teams rapidly iterate, experiment and then use data to build applications and features that we know our users want.
As a principal software engineer you will be the technical leader on a small full stack team working directly with a product owner to continuously ship and deliver value to our users. You’ll drive technical decisions, pick technologies, mentor junior developers, write high quality, maintainable, readable code, and define and optimize our engineering practices. You’ll build scalable and secure mobile and web applications that health care providers trust every day.
Epocrates is a native iOS and Android application written in Java, Objective-C, and Swift. We are looking for engineers who are skilled in one or both of these stacks.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
[Primary Function] Technical Execution
- Write maintainable, readable, and testable code
- Introduce and create design patterns that help us write better code
- Create modular user interfaces that work on iOS and Android
- Proactively identify and propose new, alternative technology in order to create scalable applications
- Participate in Agile planning, story pointing and ceremonies
- Review and help improve teammates code
- Develop and influence mobile development best practices across athenahealth
Contributions to the Team
- Help interview and build our teams
- Be the subject matter expert and elevate the team’s skillset as they adopt new technologies
- Contribute to agile ceremonies to improve team performance
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery; Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure completion and effectiveness
- Drive self-organization; help determine how the team functions in collaboration with your peers
Cross functional Coordination and Communication
- Work collaboratively across the Technology and Product organizations to ensure alignment towards business goals
- Builds strong relationships with cross-functional team members and business stakeholders
- Share business and technical learnings with the broader engineering and product organization, while adapting approach for different audiences
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- Experience developing and shipping native and/or hybrid iOS and Androidmobile applications
- Experience building large scale mobile applications using one or more of the following technologies:
- React/React Native
- Experience with modern software engineering best practices: tdd, pair programming, automated testing, continuous delivery