About the Role:
You will be part of a team of 150+ employees dedicated to product development, with engineering hubs in Toronto, Montreal, and Victoria.
You will be the senior Android technologist on our mobile application development team. Working with your colleagues from the product team and your engineering manager, you’ll be responsible for scoping your team’s technical work, using your knowledge to ensure it’s sequenced properly, and designing & implementing it.
In cooperation with other senior members of the engineering group, you will be responsible for contributing to the product-wide technical roadmap, matching our aspirations with our technical capabilities. You will use your experience and perspective to build security and performance into all you do, and will be on the vanguard of our move to continuous software delivery in a mobile context.
AlayaCare Cloud’s mobile applications are written in Java + Kotlin (Android) and Swift (iOS), consuming REST APIs. Our back-end services are written in Python and PHP, hosted on AWS.
In this role you will:
- Design, code, test, and debug complex software with a high level of quality, sitting as a senior member of our distributed, remote-friendly mobile application development team
- Provide technical leadership for your team, and assist in improving your colleagues’ skills through technical mentoring, role-modelling, coaching, and knowledge-sharing
- Participate in code reviews to foster technical innovation in the areas of component re-use, extensibility, maintainability and scalability
- Monitor your applications in production, and proactively identify and fix issues clients are encountering
- Contributing to the product-wide technical roadmap, ensuring the success of technical cross-team initiatives and responsible adoption of new technologies and industry trends
- In the future, participate in an on-call rotation (that respects your time) to support your team’s software
- 5+ years professional software engineering experience, with a deep background in Android development
- Experience managing complex, enterprise-level multi-screen Android applications supporting a large non-technical user base
- Degree or diploma in computer science or engineering, or demonstrated learning experience
- Awareness of contemporary industry trends in technology, design patterns, and software development tooling & practice
- Experience making difficult technical decisions in ambiguous situations
- Strong written and spoken English communication skills, targeting both technical and non-technical audiences
- Pride in your work