Senior Android Architect
WHO IS SPR?
SPR is a digital technology consultancy that develops elegant solutions to transform the way people do business. We’re 300+ strategists, developers, designers, architects, consultants, thinkers, and doers in Chicago. We work with 160 clients in 10 unique industries – everything from corporate finance and global logistics to local breweries and Chicago startups.
We think about the end users and rigorously apply the latest technologies and frameworks to address our clients’ needs. We enable companies to do more with data, engage with other people, build disruptive solutions, and operate productively. To do this, we hire smart technologists and sharp business leaders who are excellent communicators and have an interest in working on multiple projects across industries.
SPR offers a great environment for employees to learn, to build systems that make an impact, and to tackle exciting challenges. With our office’s “Maker Space”, you can explore your IoT side and develop fun projects with 3D printing and CNC machining. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, bonuses, generous vacation time, big fitness incentives, and medical/dental/vision insurance.
By joining the SPR team, you’ll be using your brain, working hard and making an impact through your projects – and you’ll be rewarded for it.
WHAT IS THE POSITION?
SPR is looking to hire a great Android architect to join our team. Ideally, you are fluent in Android development with experience shipping successful apps using an agile methodology, enjoy leading small teams committed to delivering great solutions, and have some expertise with iOS, Xamarin, or hybrid app development. Familiarity with enterprise app distribution is a plus. Please be aware that applicants applying must be located in the United States.
- Lead a team of mobile developers crafting delightful and engaging productivity apps
- Communicate an application's architecture and components so that other developers can successfully implement stories and features
- Review UI wireframes for feasibility, adherence to interface guidelines, and effort to implement
- Provide story estimates for new projects, then collaborate with your team to execute the delivery from start to finish.
- Build efficient, maintainable code based on requirements, wireframes, and high-fidelity comps.
- Write unit tests and integration tests for critical components
- Support team members evaluating new technologies and solving problems
- Evaluate pull requests and perform code walk-throughs to ensure the team delivers a high-quality solution to our clients
- Recognize innovation opportunities and advocate for them
- Willing to commute to client sites throughout the Chicagoland area.
- You have an excellent understanding of Java, Android SDK, Android Studio, Gradle and Android Activity/Fragment Lifecycle.
- You can expertly apply modern development practices and design patterns to Android applications, and can mentor teammates on the same.
- You have demonstrated responsibility for the full project life-cycle, with reference applications in the Play Store.
- You can translate high-level project requirements into an application architecture and collaborate with teammates to implement that architecture.
- You have extensive experience building productivity apps that rely upon RESTful and JSON web services.
- You have built offline-first mobile apps.
- You possess a deep understanding of the communication technologies commonly employed by mobile apps — especially Bluetooth LE, HTTP(S), and JSON.
- You are familiar with multiple techniques to integrate third-party libraries and APIs into your apps, especially Square Libraries.
- Excellent grasp of the mobile landscape, trends, and emerging technologies
TECHNOLOGIES WE USE
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Degree level qualification desirable but suitable professional experience will be considered.