Senior Analytical Chemist
About the Job:
Conduct testing, analysis, development and validation in support of product innovation. Troubleshoot and improve analytical methods. Manage project timelines and coordinate analytical activities with commercial perspective. Contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of fragranced candle products to our customers. Provides technical support for new candle formulations and manufacturing activities.
- Takes the analytical lead on assigned projects with minimum supervision, identifying and performing the required analytical tasks in support of product development.
- Set priorities with the R&D team and develops workable action plans and coordinates the activities of other R&D team members to ensure that the tasks are completed according to priority status.
- Performs activities within the assigned timelines and in compliance with GLPs, regulatory requirements and company practices and procedures.
- Performs statistical analysis of analytical testing data of raw materials, finished products and lab batches.
- Summarize and interpret analytical data, communicates findings to other stakeholders and provides root cause analysis and generate final report of findings.
- Maintain and troubleshoot analytical instrumentation.
- Advances analytical method development, validation and implementation support. Suggest analytical new instrumentation, evaluate feasibility and justification of purchase.
- Identifies, offers, implements contingency plans to prevent and overcome analytical issues and perform method trouble shooting with no supervision.
- Proactively participates in activities in support of process changes (e.g. processes, procedures, etc.?).
- Suggests and leads process improvements to refine current systems and improve efficiency.
- Provides technical assistance and support to Production, Sales, and Process Engineering, as required for product scale-up, quality control, and other cross functional activities.
- Mentors peers in method development, validation, troubleshooting, instrumentation, laboratory practices, and processes.
- Conducts trainings on selected topics of interest for the department and company.
- Documents analytical activities and results accurately, in a timely manner and right first time. Reviews and checks analytical data generated by peers and maintains integrity of data.
- Communicates effectively with peers, supervisor, management, and internal and external customers about project status. Monitor project status and proactively communicate to supervisor potential delays and challenges.
- Participates and represents the department in cross-functional teams and joint projects with customers.
- Maintain clean and safe work environment in the laboratory, mentor employees to work safely for them and those around them
- Ensures all work is performed and documented in accordance with existing company policies, procedures, GMPs, and health and safety requirements.
- In depth knowledge of the critical functions/variables of the analytical techniques and proven ability to troubleshoot methods is also required.
- Models curiosity and fosters professional and team knowledge growth.
- Follows through on commitments.
- Experienced and proficient in inductively couple plasma (ICP) spectrometry and mass spectrometric methods.
- Knowledgeable in near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy.
- Operation and maintenance of instruments a must.
- Experience with data analysis software.
- Must be able to work in a team environment approach to accomplish tasks. Coaching skills required.
- Must possess the ability to work on multiple tasks in a fast paces environment. Project management skills and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to handle increased amounts of unsupervised interaction with: Customers, Sales, Quality, Production and/or Suppliers.
- Must possess good written and verbal communication.
- Must have the ability to work with minimum supervision using scientific judgment and professional competency.
- Knowledge of oil, waxes and paraffins desirable.
- Problem solving ability is required. Ability to design effective and comprehensive designs of experiment plans
- 3+ years of project managing, and leadership experience.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Minimum 5years relevant experience with strong Analytical Instrumentation Expertise
- Master?s degree in Organic, Analytical Chemistry, or related field of study *Preferred* PhD in Organic, Analytical Chemistry, or related field of study, and minimum 3years relevant experience.
- Travel10-20%, on-call hours in emergency situation
Job Type: Full-time
- project managing, and leadership: 3years
- Analytical Instrumentation: 5years
- cosmetics or candle manufacturing: 3years
- ICP or ICP-MS: 3years