The Sr. Agronomy Manager will lead a team of agronomists who are designing and executing agronomic trials with in-house resources as well as through collaborations with external partners. This role leads the agronomic technical services function and will be responsible for developing a product development strategy for new potato varieties. The Senior Agronomy Manager will ensure all activities are performed safely and according to compliance and stewardship requirements. The role requires developing a business unit budget and interacting and communicating regularly with multiple internal stakeholders.
- Direct a team of 15-20 agronomists who are designing and executing agronomic studies with in-house resources as well as through collaborations with external partners. Prepare and manage the Agronomy budget. Drive continuous improvement in trial design, execution, and reporting as well as increased efficiency of the overall program. Ensure delivery on internal customer requirements for R&D Proof of Concept, Line Selection, Regulatory, and Product Development studies.
- Ensure agronomic activities comply with all regulated and deregulated material requirements. Provide guidance to Stewardship & Compliance team on appropriate procedures and practices to mitigate potential new risks as trialing and market testing expands.
- Design an agronomic product development program that drives high value creation throughout the supply chain from seed through market testing. Ensure that both the baseline potato performance and the biotech trait performance are well characterized before broad launch of new improved varieties.
- Lead Technical Services for market testing that includes publishing of recommended best practices for growing and storing biotech potatoes as well as answering customer technical inquiries about current production.
- Ph.D. with 8+ years experience or Master's Degree with 15+ years of experience or Bachelor's with 20+ years of relevant experience
- Must have 5-10 years of relevant experience or training.
- Must have strong leadership experience including demonstrated success in leading an agricultural development program.
- Must be able to exhibit a good understanding of agronomic principles and agricultural production systems including experience in research and trial design.
- Must have supervisory experience. Working knowledge of biotechnology and genetics desired.
- Familiarity with potato production systems preferred.
- Excellent communication skills including formal presentation skills are required.
- Must have good project management skills.