Summary of the Position
The Senior Advisor, Pharmaceutical Strategy is a highly visible role responsible for overseeing development and implementation of approaches that support policy analysis, pharmaceutical sector strategic planning, resource mobilization and private sector engagement activities within the Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) program.
PQM+ is a USAID-funded, USP-implemented cooperative agreement which includes objectives to strengthen pharmaceutical quality assurance policies, optimize financial resources for medical product quality assurance and to increase the supply of quality-assured essential medical products of public health importance.
To advance these objectives, PQM+ supports regulators and manufacturers in lower- and middle-income countries (LMICs) in strategic and business planning and supports the development of country and regional pharmaceutical sector planning and implementation. The Senior Advisor would provide overall functional expertise towards informing and implementing this work in collaboration with PQM+ country stakeholders, program leaders and other partners.
This work will involve, not only hands-on project level engagement but also the development and continuous improvement of technical approaches that can be transferred and applied across relevant PQM+ projects.
The role will directly report to the PQM+ Technical Director and functionally report into USP Strategy.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and continuously update understanding of issues facing regulators in the LMIC setting and determine models for resource mobilization and strategic and business planning that will support these authorities to sustainably fulfill their public health mandate
- Lead in the design of work processes and tools to support pharmaceutical policy analysis and strategic planning using inputs from assessment reports, institutional development plans, and stakeholder engagement
- Develop and continuously update understanding of sustainability challenges and potential solutions for global manufacturers producing essential public health medicines and for manufacturers operating in the LMIC setting
- Lead in implementation of major strategic planning projects under PQM+ Codify and continuously update strategic planning approaches for regulators, laboratories and pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Proactively identify opportunities to support PQM+ countries to improve resource mobilization or support pharmaceutical sector growth and work with team for inclusion in annual work planning process
- Represent PQM+ as thought leader in the space, deploying new insights that advance understanding of challenges and potential solutions relevant to sustainable resource mobilization for LMIC regulators, sustainable manufacture of essential medicines and pharmaceutical sector development
- Capture and share knowledge and lessons learned from projects and other initiatives with appropriate audience(s). Creates documentation to preserve information, experiential data, and knowledge relevant to future projects.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Eight (8) years related experience
- Four (4) years of experience in a strategic role or at least 3 years working in a top tier strategic consulting firm required.
- Experience managing or leading complex projects
- Experience working internationally/ across a variety of cultural settings
- Strong executive presence
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to negotiate with and influence senior stakeholders, while driving a project to completion
- Strong time management, project management skills (i.e. deadline management, follow-up mechanisms, overview instruments)
- Comfort in ambiguous situations, with ability to clarify project scope and define path forward
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Teamwork and leadership skills
- Experience in international development or global public health