Senior Advisor Financial Technical Support
Reporting to the Manager Financial Technical Support. The Senior Advisor, Financial Technical Support will lead and coordinate with the Manager on thedevelopment of the agency-wide finance capacity building strategy and standards for field and HQ-based finance staff. S/he will lead efforts to enhance learning leading to improved cost efficiency, risk management, financial planning, financial and management reporting, provide targeted financial technical support to country programs, and serve as the overall coordinator of theGlobal finance community of practice
Capacity Building and Learning:
- Capacity Building and Learning: Identifyfinance training needs and developfinance trainingcurriculum and materials utilizing a variety of learning techniques to support the development of corefinance competencies forfinance and non-finance staff. Develop and coordinate trainingschedule, develop strategy to identify and train trainers. Develop and maintain library of training materials and reference documents.
- Coordinate training schedule for global, regional and country level finance trainings provided to finance and non-finance staff.
- Coordinate with finance community on development of training strategy. Identify and document training needs and recommended approaches to addressing training needs.
- Lead and/or assist in facilitation as needed for key finance trainings.
- Lead in further development of training materials for existing trainings, including the CR/Sr Manager Finance training and theFinance training for Non-Finance Staff. Identify alternative training methodologies to supplement these training needs including development of 1-pagers, webinars and additional tools.
- Lead in development of training curriculum and materials including identifying external resources for newly identified training needs including development of finance staff (i.e. leadership training).
- Maintain finance materials training library.
- Participate in KML communities of practice.
- Financial Analysis and Cost Efficiency: Develop and implement a standardized approach to be used for "period reviews", complementing that produced by Domestic Finance, which provides standardized feedback on key performance data to RDs, RFOs and CRs. Conduct thorough periodic analysis of cost allocation and ICR rates and parameters and identify errors and implications on cost efficiency. Work closely withOPEX to analyze and track financial information on key cost efficiency indicators for both country and regional expenditures. Provide constructive guidance and support to develop more efficient finance supportstructures while not compromising internal control and segregation ofduties.
- Cost Accounting and Budgeting: Support the Manager of Financial Planning to develop process improvements for various budgeting systems and tools (Adaptive Planning, Gateway, SUN Systems) address and supportimproved multi-year forecasting, cost applications, and foreign currency budgets. Support the agency in developing appropriate financial systems to support programs funded by non-traditional donors.
- Financial Technical Support: Deploy on TDYs to support CPs, Regional Offices, and RFOs to analyze and resolve complex financial issues including but not limited to: cost allocation; donor cost accounting requirements and reporting; internal controls; financial reviews; partnercapacity assessments; and, new resource development (e.g. USG contracting).
- Financial Risk Management: Review all draft internal audit reports and provide constructive feedback on content and accuracy. Facilitate cross-regional sharing of financial best practices to be used to address deficiencies. Support OpEx to review financial issues associated withthe A-133audit reports of subrecipients and comment on corrective action and final decision on questioned costs. Use internal audit reportsand internal control questionnaires to identify systemic issues that need to be addressed by an agency-wide policy or system. Facilitate thedevelopment of the corrective action plan in response to the annual A-133.
- Community of Practice: Maintain a formal finance community of practice to identify, record, and share best practices. Responsibilities include: Facilitate the monthly RFO conference calls; plan the annual RFO meeting and release action plans; plan the bi-annual Global Finance Meeting; and, Represent HQ Finance at internal and external meetings and forums.
- Support the Manager of Financial Technical Support to engage onkey agency wide initiatives (Project Spring Board, Workforce development (SI 4.2), SRFMP Workgroup, Project Insight etc) as needed.
- Support on other projects as needed.
Agency-Wide Competencies: These are rooted in the mission, values and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Serves with Integrity
* Models Stewardship
* Develops Constructive Relationships
* Promotes Learning
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal:?HQ Finance, RFO's, CP Finance Managers, DRD MQ's, OPEX, Overops,Strategy and Organizational Development Team, Internal Audit
External:?Consultants, Peer Organizations and associations including MANGO, LINGOS and InsideNGO, External Auditors
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting or related field. Master's degree preferred. CPA or similar certification preferred.
- 8-10 years of supervision and staff management experience including experience as a field-based Finance Manager, Regional Finance Officer or Senior field Operational position preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years of accounting experience and operational understanding of higher level financial concepts.
- Strong computer skills. Knowledge of MS Office required.
- Experience with accounting software. Knowledge of Sun Systems and JD Edwards preferred.
- Knowledge of fund accounting for non-profit organizations.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience in training development and delivery
- Excellent written and verbal skills, fluency in English required, fluency inFrench or Spanish highly desirable.
- Willingness to work additional hours during critical implementation periods.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 40% required.