Job Posting Title
Senior Advanced Manufacturing Engineer-Controls
This GE Appliances Senior AME role will be a member of the Advanced ManufacturingEngineering (AME) Test and Controls team. The Test & Controls AME Team owns and maintains theengineering standards forelectrical, automation, robot and test equipment for the company. The AME will beresponsible for managing and executingelectrical and automation equipment projects, ensuring that all procured or modified equipment is compliant with standards and executed within the project or program deliverables (cost, quality and delivery). This AME role will be assigned to New Product Introduction (NPI) programs and/ or Run The Plant (RTP) projects to drive product cost out and factory productivity. The AME will be a key liaison between the project team and the plant operation and manufacturing teams; ensuring that plant priorities and objectives are clearly understood and considered for the area under their ownership.
What you will Do
- Provide advanced manufacturing electrical and controls expertise in leading detailed and comprehensive planning for conceptualization, specification, development and implementation of right-sized manufacturing and facility equipment. Responsibilities can extend across all areas of manufacturing and warehouse facilities.
- Manage electrical and control portions of capital equipment expenditures that support new product designs, factory capacity or efficiency additions, and quality improvement goals (typical project scope involves the development of specifications, supplier management, purchase, installation and qualification of the manufacturing equipment).
- As a senior professional, will be expected to manage multiple projects and/or provide leadership for larger equipment control projects. Must be able to analyze needs and determine best electrical recommendations for equipment / process to optimize cost & performance.
- Facilitate/lead the use of the Production Preparation Process (3P) and Lean manufacturing principles while developing manufacturing equipment and processes. Utilize cross-functional groups to ensure that the tooling, equipment and processes are compatible with the entire value stream. Efforts should include: right-sized equipment, workstation design, material presentation, standard work and single piece flow. Use data and statistics to characterize delivered manufacturing process capabilities in qualifying the release of processes and equipment.
Standards and Compliance:
- Ensure all equipment executed in GEA factories comply with Industry (ANSI, ISO, NFPA) and Governmental Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) standards.
- Utilize Human Organizational Performance (HOP) principles to ensure that all equipment and processes are implemented with the health and safety of the operators in mind. Develop mockups and prototypes to validate new designs and test for shop floor confirmation.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure equipment & processes support business initiatives of Lean Manufacturing, Ergonomic Design and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
Cross-functional Work and Leadership:
- Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation set up, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment are designed.
- Investigate new technologies for appliance manufacturing and recommend applicable new technologies to quality and business leaders.
- Deliver guidance to cross-functional team members with regard to electrical, control, safety circuits and robot equipment design and execution.
- Work with design team to ensure Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and is considered on part design.
- As a senior professional, participate in growing the AME organization’s capability. This includes mentoring, guiding and helping more junior team members as well as adding to the body of knowledge of the department (training, developing new manufacturing processes, supporting Hoshin objectives, etc.)
What you need to Succeed
- Experience managing capital equipment procurement projects: Including specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, installation and qualification of equipment
- Prior experience in a large scale manufacturing environment
- Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
- Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
- Ability to communicate effectively and be an agent for change.
- Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to drive decisions based on the overall benefit to the company
- Ability to mentor, grow more junior members of the team and add to the body of AME knowledge for the business
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline OR equivalent hands on experience in technical/manufacturing disciplines
- 7+ years hands on & relevant controls engineeringexperience with electrical, automated manufacturing equipment and processes
- Computer literate and skilled in MS Office, Minitab and Windows including network functions
- BS/MSdegree in ElectricalEngineering
- Experience with assembly line design, automation and customized fabrication equipment and manufacturing processes
- Very creative talent with a proven ability to look past what is currently done and develop a practical, implementable vision for future test systems with a strong history of executing to vision
- Skilled knowledge of controls software (PROFICY, SIMATIC, RSLOGIX/STUDIOLOGIX) and coding structure for ladder logic, structured text and function blocks
- Hands on experience in designing and operation of multiple axis automation equipment and/ or robots
- Prior NPI program experience
- Six Sigma Certification
- Proficient in MS Office, MSScheduler (or equivalent) and AutoCAD
- Working conditions are normal for a high volume manufacturing environment.
- Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
- Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
- These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
- 20-30% travel may be for domestic and/or international travel to supplier sites/ plants, etc.
- Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends will be required.
GE Appliances is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.