Highly profitable "A" rated by A.M. Best carrier has retained The Carlisle Group seeking to hire a talented Senior Actuary. The role, reporting to the Vice President of Operations, will be the lead actuary in working to drive profitability throughout the organization. The client is seeking a talented actuary with solid depth of experience in commercial lines.
Remote Position: Candidate can reside in NY, PA, NJ, CT, NH, VT, & MA
Using and applying the techniques and theories of Actuarial Science, develop rates, pricing factors and premium changes which contribute to the company’s goals for long term profitability and growth. Develop and communicate verbally and in writing, sound actuarial justification for revisions to be implemented. Assist in the setting the overall loss reserves for adequacy. Work collaboratively with underwriting, accounting, claims, filing and IT departments.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain prices and pricing systems which balance the financial needs of the company with the pressure from competition
- Research, review and analyze the underlying pricing components to assure rate adequacy and competitive balance.
- Assist and/or lead possible updates and/or creation of new rating methodology for older products
- Provide actuarial justification and guidance in support of rate filing process.
- Uses own discretion, judgment and knowledge in organizing, coordinating and completing work.
- Develop and communicate verbally and in writing, sound actuarial justification for revisions to be implemented.
- Assist and /or lead as assigned; assist in preparation of quarterly reports, development of new product lines and/or programs.
- Assist in the development of loss picks through analysis of competitor data, entry and summarization of losses. Act as contact for questions and support for Experience/Loss Rating Specialist position.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and knowledge of the rating systems and practices currently in use
- Provides analysis of ratemaking, reserving, modeling and special projects to other departments
- Working towards passing the CAS exams
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, math, or statistics.
- Minimum of three years’ experience at a property casualty insurance carrier in an actuarial position.
- Commitment to taking and passing actuarial exams, completion of at least 1 exam.
- Knowledge and understanding of actuarial science with the ability to understand the scope of the position and its long-range effects.
- Thorough knowledge of mathematics and/or statistics.
- Above average analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to analyze and compile complex data
- Ability to utilize spreadsheet and database systems
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to think logically and dig for information.
- Ability to be a self-starter, quick learner, willing and able to work independently
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and multi-task oriented.
- Ability to be persistent and accurate.
- Able and willing to be flexible, adaptable, and work as a team member and individual contributor.