Nelson Books is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and highly values diverse backgrounds and insights that fuel our innovation.
The Thomas Nelson legacy spans more than 200 years, with Nelson Books as its cornerstone nonfiction trade imprint. Building on this legacy, Nelson Books publishes Christian books that inform, inspire, entertain, and lead to changes that matter.
Serves in a leadership role in the acquisition and editorial/product development for non-fiction titles in the Christian market.
- Actively acquires 12-14 titles per year consistent with publishing strategy and financial goals.
- Oversees editorial development of books acquired, including the delivery of expert and timely editorial work and strong author management.
- Shepherds the titling, packaging, and cataloging process for acquired titles.
- Provides timely communication with current and potential authors and their agents regarding the status of their proposals and/or contracted projects.
- Negotiates with authors and/or agents in a manner that is fair and within financial benchmarks and develops, nurtures, and grows author and agent relationships; strong editorial judgment about which authors to acquire and resign.
- Represents Nelson Books persuasively within HCCP and within the broader publishing community, including at writer’s conferences and industry trade shows as needed.
- Influences and informally mentors junior editorial staff.
- Possesses expertise in cultural, entertainment, and publishing trends.
Knowledge: Expert market knowledge, proven leadership ability, proven success in acquisitions, proven ability to maintain strong relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Work Experience: Proven success as an acquisitions editor with 7-8 years’ experience in publishing.
- Education: BA in Humanities,English, Journalism, or Theology or equivalent degree required.