Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position will serve as an internal expert on technical matters related to accounting policy and transactions accounting. The staff will work with management across multiple divisions of the company including Corporate Accounting, Treasury, Real Estate, Human Capital, and Procurement to research complex areas and reach conclusions over the proper accounting treatment. This position reports to the Director of Financial Reporting.
This role will work with the implementation of new accounting procedures such as the new revenue accounting standard and the new lease accounting standard. Working with the Director of Financial Reporting, this role will coordinate with the other accounting personnel along with IT and the business line employees to ensure that people understand the changes and that the systems are ready to properly account for the new standards.
This role also reviews pending agreements for the potential accounting impact of the transactions and to ensure that Amtrak collects all the appropriate accounting documentation and analysis in anticipation of and after the transaction.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Research technical accounting guidance for non-routine and complex transactions, and writing accounting memos to document conclusions reached
- Serve as primary point of contact with external auditors for review and evaluation of accounting conclusions for non-routine and complex transactions
- Maintain database of new accounting pronouncements and their impact on current accounting policies and procedures, including the new revenue recognition standard
- Present to management findings related to accounting conclusions that will have a wide impact on the company
- Support annual financial statement reporting by reviewing GAAP disclosure checklists and researching complex areas such as accounting for financing transactions, asset transactions, leases, and income taxes
- Lead monthly discussion of non-routine accounting transactions. Review and update the memo for current items and review current activity for other perspective transactions. Coordinate with outside departments to collect support for these transactions and discuss during a monthly meeting.
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP accounting theory and rules
- Demonstrated proficiency in analytical, reconciling, and accounting skills
- Ability to apply complex GAAP concepts and conduct technical research in order to recommend the proper recording of prospective transactions.
- Ability to describe or explain information, concepts, ideas and instructions to others
- Ability to work productively with people across the organization, auditors and others
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze qualitative and quantitative data
- Ability to multi-task effectively and patiently
- Background in big 4 public accounting in assurance
- Experience writing research and documentation at public accounting firm
- Minimum demonstrated years of experience
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP
- Experience documenting complex transaction analysis and technical accounting research
- Experience documenting accounting processes
- Strong personal computer skills including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with financing transactions, lease accounting, asset accounting.
- Previous experience with SAP or equivalent ERP System.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Education Requirements:Bachelors Degree
Employment Experience Requirements:5 - 7 years of experience