Perform general accounting processes to ensure accurate and timely accounting close cycles and the development of subsequent internal and external financial statements and reports. Processes may include, but are not limited to, budget development and reporting; analysis and reconciliation of accounting ledgers and other accounts; preparation of accounting ledger entries and supporting work-papers; preparation of inter-company billings; preparation of property valuations and preparation of required regulatory reporting forms and tax filings. Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments. At times, may assume a lead role and is responsible for the accurate and timely analysis and reporting of various business cycles. May be responsible for training other analysts. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of a wide variety of factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Collect and analyze a variety of complex financial data in order to perform some or all of the following accounting processes: budget development, reconciliation and variance reporting for assigned areas, reconcile assigned accounts, analyze financial data and prepare complex accounting ledger entries, prepare internal and external reports, settle inter-company receivables and payables, prepare property valuations. Identify and resolve data issues. Analyze financial data to identify adverse trends and recommend solutions to mitigate financial impact
- Participate in and support accurate month-end, quarter-end and year-end accounting close cycles and development of subsequent internal and external financial statements, required regulatory reporting forms and tax filings.
- Actively participate in or lead special projects as assigned. Projects may include but are not limited to: testing system upgrades or enhancements, rate case support, conducting financial analysis and developing ad hoc reports and process improvement initiatives.
- Provide timely and accurate assistance and consultation to clients within assigned business area. Assistance includes, but is not limited to: interpretation of account codes or financial reports, providing status reports on projects, work order issue resolution, etc. Prepare presentations, statistical reports, schedules and other information on operating results for management and outside parties. Consult with co-workers, clients and management on technical accounting or system related matters.
- May provide work direction and training to other analysts.
- Stay current with new or proposed local, state, federal rules and regulations and internal and external financial reporting requirements. Has a broad understanding of area of this specialization; resolves a wide range of complex issues in creative ways.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related business degree or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
- CPA or CMA certification preferred and may be required for some positions.
- Minimum of 5 years general financial accounting and reporting experience with an emphasis on complex accounting issues, processes and multiple company accounting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply GAAP.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business and legal principles.
- Demonstrated analytical and communication skills.
- Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Word, Xcel and Access required.
- Knowledge of and experience working with SAP highly desirable.