UNIT/GROUP: Finance and Accounting
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Finance and Institutional Controller
This position provides a balance of accounting and treasury operations. The Senior Accountant is responsible for the management and processing of cash, debt instruments, and investments. The position must be filled by an experienced accounting professional who possesses a solid understanding of GAAP, requires minimal supervisory oversight, brings expertise to ensure efficiency and accuracy in all deliverables, applies internal controls consistently, demonstrates continual professional growth, and communicates effectively with associates at all levels in the Organization. Strong communication skills are vital as this position regularly engages with senior finance management; all accounting, billing, accounts payable and payroll professionals and staff; project staff worldwide; and Winrock’s banking and investment management service providers.
Winrock’s funding sources are diverse, including Federal government awards provided under letters of credit, traditional billing and collection, or advance payments; awards from other non-governmental entities; and individual donations. The position is fast-paced and requires organization skills, ability to make effective decisions, and ability to manage diverse tasks and special projects simultaneously.
- Daily cash management and analysis for a large portfolio of operating and restricted cash accounts, including liquidity projections, accounts receivable reviews, and funding source draws
- Scheduled and ad hoc reporting of cash, debt and investment metrics, annual budgets and forecasts, and financial statement audits
- Accounting journalization of cash and debt transactions (line of credit and revenue bonds), inclusive of income and expense transactions and period-end accruals
- Treasury operations oversight and primary bank treasury services relationship manager including in-house positive pay administration and wire/ACH transfer verification/approvals
- Manage domestic and foreign bank account registrations including account opening and closure coordination, signatory processing, and document management
- Endowment accounting and reporting, including investment returns analysis, investment activity journalization, account reconciliations, financial statement disclosures, and fee forecasts
- Review and process indirect cost center consultancy agreements
- Individual donor management including tax acknowledgments and management reporting
- Financial statement audit and Form 990 preparation assistance
- Other duties as assigned or required, including special projects that require individual ownership, planning and completion
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is required. A Master’s Degree or CPA designation is highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum 5 years of professional corporate level experience in a combination of general ledger, treasury operations, and/or investment accounting is required. Audit experience or demonstrated ability to review the work of others preferred.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to assessing process efficiency and implement enhancements that improve financial reporting, internal control, or stakeholder experience
- Ability to develop and establish financial policies and procedures
- Ability to analyze financial reports and contribute to management decision making
- Self-directed, personal resourcefulness and effective time management; able to work remotely when necessary and continue to meet all position objectives
- Ability to analyze, challenge status quo and provide plausible solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with domestic and overseas stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- High level of comfort and proficiency with computer-based applications
- Interest in learning new and challenging job duties
- A plus: experience with governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures
Travel: Must be willing to perform limited international/domestic travel if necessary