Reporting to the Manager of Accounting, the Senior Accountant will be a key contributor to the
HMS Office of Finance. He or she will provide support and advice to deal with special projects and
analysis that relates to HMS operations, policy development and documentation, process analysis,
management tools, and compliance. The Senior Accountant is part of a team who collectively manage the
accounting operations of the school.
The role includes: Enhancing the control environment by establishing and monitoring effective processes and systems; Ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting and adherence to GAAP and ensuring compliance with school and university policies and
- Develop knowledge related to HMS accounting structure, including both income statement and balance sheet accounts.
- Maintain a strong internal control environment by ensuring compliance with university policy and procedures, including review, analysis, revision and documentation of policies and procedures.
- Prepare journal entries to record or adjust accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP, HMS and university policies.
- Develop a network of peers at other schools or in central administration to share and leverage best practices.
- Promote a customer service environment, including providing support to multiple constituents including faculty, staff, and students.
- Working with the Controller and Accounting Manager to interpret requirements, design and implement an operational plan, and roll out training for SAS 115 internal control initiatives. Oversee existing SAS 115 initiatives to ensure compliance with internal and external audit requirements (e.g., Student Revenue controls, Financial Close controls, Payroll controls, Endowment + Gift Spending controls, Fixed Assets Accounting controls, Journal Entry review), as well as HMS post-audit review procedures
- Assist with the month-end and quarterly closing processes, including Central quarterly reconciliation and reporting requirements
- Assist with the year-end closing process, including School-wide communications and meetings; journal entry inventory, processing, review, and approval; the departmental and School representation letter process; Central reporting and audit requirements.
- Review and submission of monthly reconciliations of the Oracle Fixed Assets system to General Ledger.
- Representing the School on University committees as needed.
Typical Core Duties
- Perform complex accounting transactions
- Reconcile complex accounts, identify variances, and verify the accuracy of journal entries to the general ledger
- Provide technical advice and problem resolution for a school/unit financial community on varied accounting issues
- Provide financial reports to management
- May prepare tax documentation and/or financial statements
- Ensure financial compliance with University policies and procedures, audit and accounting disclosure requirements, and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 5 years' relevant work experience