This position reports to the Senior Manager, Accounting and Controls, and will be a key member of the Financial Reporting and Control team, driving excellence in financial reporting and control on a global basis.
The Senior Accountant will assist the Senior Manager with coordinating activities among Corporate Accounting, Worldwide Accounting, Settlement Accounting, Procurement, Financial Systems, Tax, Treasury, Finance, Risk & Compliance and Internal/External Audit teams.
The Senior Accountant, Internal Controls is responsible for assisting the Senior Manager, Accounting and Controls with SOX program ownership on behalf of management;
supporting the global accounting and finance organizations to ensure adherence to defined business processes and policies on a global basis; and supporting the global organization maintain effective internal control over financial reporting.
- Assist in control response to emerging accounting and reporting standards. This will entail monitoring the activities of the SEC, the FASB and the IASB.
- Demonstrate conceptual understanding of principal accounting concepts associated with existing and new accounting standards and associated control requirements.
- Monitor standards under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the COSO Framework to provide quality control over the Company’s corporate compliance office.
- Establish/design and update/revise internal accounting processes and control activities.
- Thoroughly document internal control activities, including differentiation of key controls.
- Ensure process documentation is clearly communicated and available to global accounting and finance organization.
- Partner with key stakeholder groups to ensure key processes and procedures are consistently implemented and applied across regions.
- Partner with local business units, including newly acquired businesses, to understand current processes, develop new standards where appropriate and ensure compliance.
- Assist with identifying emerging areas lacking adequate internal control focus, aid in ensuring consistency with interpretation and application of US GAAP, and help drive overall consistency.
- Monitor and assist with the maintenance of effective internal control over financial reporting
- Stay abreast of regulatory changes.
- Drive consistency among business units.
- Help control owners ensure adherence to control responsibilities.
- Assist in the enhancement of control design to the extent existing control framework lacks guidance and/or recommendations.
- Work with accounting and finance stakeholders to ensure, significant non-routine transactions are properly considered for internal control implications.
- Interface with regional and corporate accounting teams to understand and assist in remediation of control deficiencies.
- Review control deficiencies for potential pervasiveness in other areas of the organization.
- Document quarterly conclusions regarding internal control over financial reporting.
- Conduct enterprise-wide risk assessment.
- Maintain COSO mapping.
- Maintain global database of key controls.
- Assist with implementation of new technology to make internal control management more efficient.
- Assist in the coordination of annual control testing efforts, including communication to management and audit committee.
- Manage quarterly certifications of internal control over financial reporting from process owners.
- Finance or Accounting Bachelor's degree; Master of Accounting preferred
- 2-3 years public accounting experience with a Big Four accounting firm or 5 years industry experience with similar responsibilities working for an SEC registrant.
- Good working knowledge of GAAP and general SEC compliance
- General understanding of SEC reports and disclosures related to ICFR
- Extensive understanding of financial reporting risks in a public company environment and the ability to aid in the design of financial and system control activities
- Experience with global organizations
- Tax and acquisition accounting experience a plus.
- Ability to research accounting literature and conduct technical analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills, ability to multi-task.
- Strong analytical and technical accounting skill.
- Ability to apply critical, objective thought on a variety of financial accounting and control topics.
- Fully proficient in MS Office suite including Excel, Word and Powerpoint and/or Google equivalents.
- Must be proactive, detailed and results oriented.
- Ability to work effectively across many internal functional groups.
- Able to work collaboratively with others in order to reach consensus on plan of action and establish realizable plan for execution.
- Self-motivated; Able to work both independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests, as well as collaborating with others to utilize resources and knowledge of others in identifying high quality solutions.
- Ability to drive work both independently toward the successful attainment of set goal and as part of a team to leverage input and knowledge base of others within the company in providing well rounded and thoughtful solution sets.