Financial and Operational Services (FOS) manages AARP's multi-yearfinancial planning, budgeting and forecasting; treasury and investments; taxreporting and planning; and accounting and financialreporting activities. The division provides project management and training and support for the systems used to manage AARP’s money and assets.
Performs complex/advanced general ledger accounting, financialreporting, and analysis duties, including creation, review, and quality control of financial statement reports, review, and quality control of internal and external financial and operational reporting (system generated and ad hoc), recording and review of transactions, and the maintenance of accurate general ledger accounts, review, and monitoring of the chart of accounts structure and related financialreporting formats.
- Develops financial analyses, builds financial models based on economic indicators, and prepares action recommendations.
- Prepares and/or reviews accounting entries to record recurring and special transactions relating to the revenue, costs, and expenses for organizational unit(s).
- Develops reports used by business unit management in strategic planning and updates with new data as it becomes available.
- Performs monthly, quarterly, and annual analyses and reconciliations of balance sheet, revenue, and expense general ledger accounts. Maintains the completeness and accuracy of all related account balances in accordance with GAAP.
- Coordinates, monitors, and reconciles financial programs/reports.
- Functions as a resource to management in matters of accounting procedures and issues, cost/revenue analyses, and assists other staff in establishing and utilizing various reporting systems.
- Supports the monthly financialreporting for the business unit(s) supported and/or for AARP consolidated. Assists in the preparation of the annual external audit.
- Resolves accounting and budgetary issues within Financial Services and other business units, as designated.
- Proactively reviews related accounting policies, procedures, and systems for efficiency and effectiveness on an ongoing basis. Recommends updates and improvements in current policies, procedures, and systems. Assists in implementation of all improvements identified.
- Consistently reviews financial, accounting, and operating information for reasonableness and accuracy and ensures the quality of information generated from the financial system.
- Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of all business activities and related issues. Uses this knowledge to identify current or potential issues that could impact the accounting and reporting of financial information for the business units supported.
- Assists the business units with financial and operational analysis of current or planned activities, as requested.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, and 5+ years of experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position. CPA certification or related certification strongly preferred. Requires judgment and advanced analytical ability.