Division and Unit Overview
The American Chemical Society (ACS) provides access to our premier scientific journals to the government, academic, and corporate research communities. Already established as the most-trusted, most-cited, and most-read journals in chemistry-related sciences, ACS products are well-known to and deeply respected by current and potential customers alike.
The Sales Team within the Sales & Marketing Department is responsible for implementing sales programs for the ACS Publications Division’s product lines. Inherent in this is analyzing all results and recommending future direction for the marketing and positioning of ACS publications products within the chemical/scientific community market place. In addition, the team interacts with other ACS units that handle customer orders to formulate plans and policies to ensure maximum sales and customer satisfaction.
The Senior Account Manager will be responsible for managing ACS Publications institutional customers in the Mid Atlantic geographic region encompassing Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. With Washington D.C. located in this geographic territory, the Mid-Atlantic Senior Account Manager has responsibility for ACS Publications’ business with the US Federal government, including DOE, NSF, USDA, NIST, NIH and several other federal agencies and departments.
The incumbent will work from a home office, and is required to live within this geographic territory with a strong preference for the great Washington D.C. area. The incumbent will work proactively to equally ensure maximum revenue performance and maximum customer satisfaction from government, academic, and corporate institutions located within the territory. The incumbent will be expected to maximize in-person interactions to develop strong and lasting relationships, while using phone and email to ensure the most efficient use of time in pursuit of goals. The Senior Account Manager will be expected to manage an extensive existing book of business and maximize year-over-year renewal revenue, while prospecting extensively within research organizations to drive new customer sales and acquisitions. The successful applicant will have demonstrated sales skills and achievements, including experience selling to federal government research institutions, knowledge of professional librarian market, and an inherent appreciation for the value of quality journals to the scientific enterprise.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated evidence of the appropriate personal and professional skills to execute the following position accountabilities:
- Manages existing base of accounts to maximize sales and develops strategic plans for top accounts
- Manages federal acquisitions and negotiations processes with current and prospective agencies and institutions of the US federal government.
- Actively plans for and prospects new business, specifically with corporate accounts. Is self-motivated and driven in pursuit of new sales opportunities
- Utilizes appropriate tools such as SalesForce.com and other business systems to proactively manage business; record sales visits and other relevant interactions; and provides regular updates through a monthly reporting process.
- Meets with customers to establish, build, and nurture positive and mutually beneficial relationships. Establishes a personal “brand” within customer base to burnish the image of ACS Publications.
- Establishes personal “brand” within customer base to burnish the image of ACS Publications.
- Communicates knowledgeably about the Scientific Publishing industry, the professional librarian market, and ACS Publications content, quality, pricing and policies
- Represents ACS Publications in appropriate professional and conference venues, with the ACS on Campus program, and in other situations appropriate to the role
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 5 plus years of publication and/or database sales experience targeting the higher education market.
- Insider industry knowledge, with strong understanding of and ability to develop and drive strategies to mitigate competitor positions.
- Experience selling within federal research institutions and with the federal acquisitions requirements.
- Strong demonstrated leadership skills, with the ability to make decisions and engage stakeholders to take appropriate actions.
- Ability to work remotely and independently with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Ability to develop and maintain internal working relationships across geographies in order to achieve mutual objectives.
- Freedom to travel up to 35% of time.
- Personal computer proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, and sufficient to learn/apply business applications.
- Four-year college degree in a hard science field strongly preferred, with research experience sufficient to provide an informed perspective on the value of ACS products to practicing scientists.