Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech) operates the state's core technology infrastructure, the central network and data center and supports enterprise applications. WaTech also houses the State Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Office of Cyber Security. Our customers include state agencies, county, city and tribal governments as well as nonprofits. We enable public agencies to better serve the people of Washington through technology.
What would you be doing in this role?
As a member of the Network Operations Firewall team, this position serves as a technical engineer supporting the Security Infrastructure by providing securityarchitecture/administration for a 24x7 operating environment. This position's focused responsibility is in Infrastructure security services. The areas of technical focus include:
- Intrusion detection and prevention
Within these functional areas the position is expected to perform specialized system installation, maintenance, expert-level troubleshooting, problem resolution, escalated customer request assistance, documentation, and security consulting for these high risk, high impact statewide security systems to ensure security of state & local government e-business.
- Analyzes the health of the network and initiates actions to minimize the impact of service incidents and system events.
- Responsible for proactively and effectively ensuring the on-going operational maintenance of high visibility, mission critical services through procedural and change management controls.
- Monitors services, identifies and resolves performance impacting issues that impact all statewide traffic passing through the firewall environment.
- Develops and maintains knowledge base documentation for operational service support.
- Recommends improvements and efficiencies in security technologies and services is support of mission critical statewide applications, infrastructure and agency strategic direction.
- Performs independent third tier resolution of reported incidents, identifies and seeks resolution through advanced analysis of incidents.
- Resolves complex installation problems and may work with vendors to solve complex problems. Uses advanced diagnostic tools to analyze work of others and personally resolve complex problems
Here's what we are looking for:
- Minimum 3-5 years of network operations or network engineering experience.
- Fortinet NSE (3-5) Cisco CCNA/CCDA in Security or Data Center.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for degree.
- Strong hands on experience with firewall administration including experience with Fortinet/Palo Alto/ASA/etc. firewall technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of Fortinet, Cisco ASA, DNS, PKI, and VMWare
- Understanding of wide area network concepts such as site-to-site/policy-based/route-based IPSec VPNs, MPLS, VPLS, and data center interconnect technologies.
- Strong understanding of VDOM architecture in firewalls, STP, VLANs, SVIs, VRF, NAT, ACLs, DHCP, DNS, Virtualization
- Understanding of packet-level performance and application troubleshooting with tools such as Wireshark.
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills.
- Microsoft Visio – Logical and Physical diagrams.
- Understanding of data center networking technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work independently.
For more information or to apply directly online; please visit: