There's no such thing as a "safe system" - only safer systems. Our Security team works to create and maintain the safest operating environment for Google's users and developers. As a Security Engineer, you help protect network boundaries, keep computer systems and network devices hardened against attacks and provide security services to protect highly sensitive data like passwords and customer information. Security Engineers work hands-on with network equipment and actively monitor our systems for attacks and intrusions. You also work with software engineers to proactively identify and fix security flaws and vulnerabilities.
You are a recognized expert in at least two security domains and use your leadership skills to manage a team that sets the direction and goals for solving Google-wide problems. You identify fundamental security problems at Google and drives major security improvements in Google infrastructure.
The Detection team is responsible for handling all malicious activity on Google's networks. We perform deep analysis of threats on our corporate, production and acquisition environments. This is the team at Google that hunts for and helps respond to advanced (APT) attackers and insider threats. Our goal is to build a world-class fully automated detection and response machine - an automated SOC.
As a Security Engineering Manager, you help your team innovate and execute the practice of detection and systems development, data analysis, digitalforensics, and incident management, as well as developing the infrastructure that makes this magic happen. Your team is responsible for both engineering work - building the systems you use - and operational work - analyzing and responding to the events that those systems detect.
You'll collaborate company-wide with teams such as Engineering, Legal, Communications and Policy teams in resolving exciting challenges and helping Google maintain situational awareness. You advocate for information security and privacy beyond Google, advocating for standards, information sharing, open-source software and ecosystem safety.
At Google, our users come first, and the Systems Infrastructure team is at the heart of that promise. We build the technologies that transform the way we think about doing business. Whether working on our cloud systems, researching the latest in computer technology or keeping Google's internal systems humming, Googlers and users alike rely on us to keep things running. We're back-end experts: protecting your privacy and ensuring your security.
- Inspire and develop talent while providing vision and setting direction for the team; lead effectively through outcomes rather than tasks.
- Build the team through personal growth and recruitment.
- Collaborate well with partner teams such as Corporate Engineering Platform owners and Android and Chrome OS engineering teams, to achieve shared objectives, provide strategic insight, and lead continuous improvement efforts in the security of our platforms.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience managing a team of engineering and/or security operations professionals for a distributed organization.
- 3 years of hands-on technical experience as an individual contributor security professional prior to management.
- Hands-on technical experience in protecting systems, security research or security testing of platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise in recruiting and managing a team of experienced engineers on large scale projects.
- Ability to prioritize and manage across multiple, often time-sensitive initiatives.
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and leadership skills.