The Security Engineer I provides the organization with hands-on security support applied to state-of-the-art infrastructure and services. The Engineer I role is thoroughly involved with day-to-day activities such as installation, configuration, upgrading and troubleshooting of the organization's network security systems, and follows the guidance of their senior counterparts. The engineer ensures the network security infrastructure is healthy and operating normally. Service and response time to incidents affecting the business related to outages and issues with the security infrastructure is critical. The Security Engineer I is also engaged in uncomplicated business initiatives, providing guidance on how the network security infrastructures can be applied to protect against common threats. Security Engineers utilize the documentation and backup standards to share knowledge and speed recovery of network security infrastructure.
- Maintain enterprise firewall platforms, with a focus on stability. Ensure that all firewalls are healthy and able to enforce policy.
- Participate in incident response and troubleshooting activities for issues involving network security infrastructure, with a focus on excellent service.
- Maintain enterprise Internet proxy platforms, with a focus on stability. Ensure that all proxies are healthy and able to enforce policy.
- Maintain and provide guidance on remote access systems (incl. wireless and VPN) for Paychex employees and 3rd Parties. Ensure that the remote access systems are healthy and stable.
- Represent the Security Engineering team's interests on uncomplicated project efforts and provide excellent communication between Security Operations Management and the project team.
- Maintain client intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDS/IPS) to identify potential threats against the enterprise.
- Identify vendor supplied upgrades, patches and fixes of security systems and applications to ensure their security and reliability.
- Work with vendors to troubleshoot issues/problems/enhancements with current security technologies to ensure the enterprise is protected against ongoing threats.
- Monitor security infrastructure health and configure custom health checks and notifications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Security or another related field - Required
- 1 year of experience in Supporting network security infrastructure and/or services.
- 1 year of experience in Network engineering.
- 1 year of experience in Employee security controls (incl. remote access, wireless networks, VPN technologies, host based firewalls).
- 1 year of experience in Incident response and troubleshooting of network/security level issues.
- 5 years of experience in IT Operations and/or Enterprise Security.
- Security solutions experience must minimally consist of small-scale network designs utilizing a combination of routing, switching, and firewalls.
- Demonstrates problem solving skills.
- Vendor technical or industry certification(s) a plus. CISSP, SANS GIAC, CCNA, CCSA/CCSE, etc.