Virtela, an NTT Communications Company, is the leading innovator in global cloud networking. We deliver award-winning services in managed networks, security, cloud, and IT infrastructure management. The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by numerous industry awards during the past year.
Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 750 carriers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in US, India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
This is an opportunity for a highly energetic individual to drive innovation in Software Defined Network (SDN) related technologies for delivering production Network Function Virtualization (NFV) services within Virtela. The right candidate will be responsible providing direction to the team in the development of the next phase of a next generation NFV service delivery platform based on cutting edge NFV, SDN technologies, cloud virtualization technologies, and cloud computing technologies that are revolutionizing the managed network service and telecom industries. This person will be required to work with a team of developers, network engineers, security engineers, operation support engineers, and suppliers to define and test an NFV auto-delivery system, which integrates with company’s OSS/BSS systems, Engineering tools, etc. The candidate needs to perform the following duties on a day-to-day basis:
- Participate in the architecture, design and development of services and tools to enable an SDN first strategy.
- Liaise with other solution architects in similar roles and global product management to define standardized solution baselines, application add-ons as well as industrialized delivery options.
- Work closely with Business Unit Leads, acting as a subject matter expert in Cloud Solution Architecture and solutions, supporting our regional teams with their capability development and skills growth.
- Architect and design cost effective alternatives for the service delivery of network and security technologies
- Drive and partner the QA/Test, Operations and Product management teams to ensure high quality releases per schedule
- Evaluate technical aspects of competing products
- Identify, propose, architect and test (proof-of-concept or prototype) scalable and flexible solutions to support internal teams migrating, transforming, and/or developing applications in the SDN platform. Work with product management to collect product requirements and convert them to software development requirements
- Contribute to technical architecture peer reviews and solution design sessions.
- Act as the last escalation point to resolve all NFV related engineering and architecture issues.
- Document, partner, and share templates, techniques, and artifacts with other development teams.
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong Cloud and Network Architectural Leadership in areas of applications, virtualization, network and security with Software Defined Network(SDN)/Network Function Virtualization(NFV) working experience; preferably a blend of data networking, cloud virtualization, and data security technologies.
- In-depth working knowledge of large IP backbone network routing, such as BGP, OSPF and relationship to OpenFlow
- Hands on knowledge and subject matter expertise in IP networking technologies: Layer 2-4 protocols, IP network architecture, application traffic flows, cloud security architecture, and security best practice.
- Proven hands-on experience in configuring firewalls, IPS, URL Filtering, and design of high availability cloud security systems.
- Strong background in cloud computing, virtualization, SDN Orchestration, network and security service automation, such as CloudStack, OpenStack, Docker, Containers, OpenDaylight, ONOS, Netconfig, and Yang
- Proficient with Linux environments (Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS, etc). Experience in Linux administration is a plus
- In-depth working knowledge of Service Provider networks and operational support processes
- Knowledge of how cloud services architecture projects/programs, technologies, processes and/or controls fit into both the Enterprise and Service Provider environment
- Design and development of scalable, mission critical and high-availability NFV systems
- Experience with different databases, including working knowledge of SQL, relational data stores and NoSQL databases. Experience using Agile scrum methodology and reporting progress through JIRA
- Good Virtualization knowledge on XenServer, Linux/KVM, and VMware vSphere
- Visionary team leader, who is self-driven, accountable, requires minimal supervision and is open to new ideas
- Ability to clearly communicate to executives, auditors, end users, and engineers, using appropriate language, examples, and tone
- Ability to work in a dynamic and complex organization, requiring creativity and flexibility
- BS Degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent experience desirable
- 10+ years in IP networking, Network Security, Network Operation, Managed Network Service Delivery, Cloud Virtualization, and Cloud Computing field. 3+ years in SDN and NFV field.
- Willingness and ability to conduct meetings and field communication outside of normal working hours to accommodate teams based internationally, as needed
- Ability to work effectively with clients, senior management, staff and vendors
- Previous experience working with/presenting to an executive audience
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills required.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills required.