Expedia’s Global Customer Operations (GCO) Technology team is dedicated to driving technology innovation to create effortless customer experiences worldwide in Expedia apps, web sites, support channels, and contact centers. We support over 12 thousand agents and over 65 million customer interactions a year – with a global brand portfolio and workforce. GCO's Data and Customer Intelligence team is looking for an enthusiastic and talented Software Development Engineer II with experiences and skillsets that demonstrate a capability for delivering high quality, customer-facing solutions that meet product needs. Our team is building out intelligent self-service experiences in areas encompassing desktop and mobile web, phone systems, messaging platforms, digital assistants, and beyond. With your passion, technical skills, and effective communication, you will implement and affect solutions that drive customer effort down and improve customer service at Expedia.
In this role you will be expected to…
- Develop exemplary and thoroughly tested code for our products
- Deliver on aggressive team goals
- Partner effectively in defining technical solutions
- Excel in communicating with teammates clearly and consistently
- Follow coding standards and engineering excellence practices as agreed by the team
- Estimate engineering effort effectively
- Cross organizational boundaries to collaborate with other technology teams to solve integrated problems
- Collaborate and work effectively with TPMs, engineers of different technical backgrounds, architects and product managers
Great candidates come from many backgrounds, but here's an idea of what you should bring to our team…
- 4+ years software development experience in enterprise quality software.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience in machine learning with data science tools like Python (preferred), R, MATLAB
- Proven self-discipline, dependability and accountability
- Strong working knowledge of Java/Maven/Tomcat, and web technologies (JS, APIs, etc)
- Experience in agile software development processes and working successfully in a team
- Excellent communication and organizational skills - should be able to bring forward a vision or opinion
- Ability to quickly and effectively research technical problems and solutions online
- Interest in learning and tackling increasingly complex tasks
- Willingness to work flexible / odd hours at times, based on a geographically distributed team
- Familiarity with AWS infrastructure and services
- Experience working with relational and No-SQL databases
- Linux and Windows Server knowledge
Who we are…
- We believe in being Different. We seek new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous. Because of this belief, our norms aren't rules or universal at all corners of our company. But they are important to our identity and how we work together. Like our company, these norms will evolve.
- We are Transparent. We communicate openly and honestly, at all levels, upwards, sideways and downwards. We surface difficult issues quickly, we act, we learn.
- We organize for Speed. We seek to gather data as fast as possible, and move. Speed allows us to make mistakes and constantly improve.
- We believe in the ScientificMethod. Everyone’s ideas are equal in the face of hard data. We use data to guide but not define our actions.
- We LeadHumbly. Our leaders serve their teams. None of us has all of the answers, but we are curious and we are always looking to learn. Though our leaders take their responsibilities to our business and their teams incredibly seriously, they never take themselves too seriously.
- We act as OneTeam. We look to optimize for the greater good, not just our own, or even our own teams' interests. We are actively interested in the success of others.