The Scrum Master provides servant-leadership and mentorship to a cross-functional agile team. This position will guide and serve teams that deliver technology solutions, through effective application of the Lean/Agile principles and frameworks including Scrum, Kanban Method, and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). The Scrum Master will coach the team to create strong skills in self-organization, cross-functionality, collaboration, conflict resolution, transparency, and continuous improvement.
- Expert understanding of Agile principles and experience with a wide variety of agile approaches, such as Scrum, SAFe, XP, Kanban and Lean, and how they work to deliver business value. Expertise in how various Agile practices can and should evolve, including: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games, Ceremony facilitation, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to coach and empower the team to reach their highest potential. Excellent team player and team builder
- Expert skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continuous improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to address issues with team dynamics, excel at coaching team members around agile concepts
- Proven ability to identify the right person(s) or portion of the organization needed to remove impediments, or guiding the team to remove impediments themselves
- Supports and coaches the Product Owner in their efforts to manage the backlog, educating the Product Owner, with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog
- Ensures a good relationship between the team and product owner as well as others outside the team
- Coaches the team members on the Agile values and principles such as collaboration, self-organization, cross-functionality, prioritization, team accountability and transparency
- Ensures understanding of the spirit of Scrum, coach on scrum practices, and facilitate Scrum ceremonies
- Fosters a motivating culture of openness, self-organization, collaboration, and continuous improvement
- Coaches the team to higher levels of agile maturity, especially focused on Agile engineering practices, within a sustainable pace of change
- Facilitates discussion, problem-solving, decision making, conflict resolution, and delivery of committed work goals
- Actively addresses blocking issues that are beyond the teams authority, or require support from other teams, so that the team can remain focused on achieving the Sprint Goal
- Communicates effectively across diverse audiences within and outside of the team (Management, Stakeholders, Executives). Helps protect the team from uncontrolled injection of work.
- Champions and promotes SAFe quality practices
- Works with and/or coaches other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Agile within the organization
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 4 years' proven general management, project analysis or project management experience including a minimum of 2 years' Scrum Master experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 8 years' higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 4 years' proven general management, project analysis or project management experience, including a minimum of 2 years' Scrum Master experience
Education and Experience Preferred:
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP), Certified Scrum Professional (CSP), SAFe Agilist (SA), CSM, or SAFe Practitioner (SP) certification active and in good standing
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in a software development/delivery organization
- Experience with one or more ALM tools (e.g. TFS, JIRA, CA/Rally, VersionOne, etc.)