About the role:
This role will offer the right candidate the opportunity to work on one or more of our customer facing software products. The ideal candidate will have a natural inclination for Servant Leadership and will embrace, foster, and facilitate the Scrum framework across multiple teams and deliverables in an Agile development environment. This individual will be part of an empowered, self-organizing, and self-accountable team that is responsible for delivery of committed scope, quality, and predictability outcomes with each sprint.
The Scrum Framework, in conjunction with Agile development methodologies establishes a highly productive, dynamic, and collaborative environment where business value is developed quickly and delivered frequently. The Scrum Master has the unique opportunity to foster team success and continuous improvement through a Servant Leader approach, from within the team.
A day in the life of a Scrum Master:
- Actively Facilitate all of the Scrum and Agile rituals, including:
- Release Planning
- User Story Grooming/Refinement
- Sprint Planning
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Establish team working agreements, help resolve impediments, facilitate productivity, and increase the probability of success in each sprint
- Establish sustainable pace – plan team capacity and sprint velocity targets
- Foster a highly collaborative and communicative environment
- Provide ongoing Scrum coaching to the team and to business partners and other stakeholders as required
- Establish and maintain highly effective partnerships with Product Owners and Development Managers
- Work closely with Product Owner to support Release Planning
- Ensure follow through on Retrospective action items
- Facilitate maximum project visibility and transparency for the team and stakeholders
- Monitor Release and Sprint burn down/burn up and facilitate course correction where required
What do you need to succeed?
To be successful in this role we are looking for someone who is able to champion and facilitate three critical pillars of process control: Transparency, Inspection, Adaptation
You will need to become an expert user of Agile lifecycle management tools (JIRA, etc.) and help others ramp their knowledge of the tools.
Your willingness to function as a coach for other teams and strong teamwork and interpersonal skills at all management levels are essential to succeed.
You also must have a firm understanding of:
- the value of team commitments to delivery and related metrics
- the value of incremental delivery
- user story construction, user story estimation, sprint health indicators (burn-down/burn-up), velocity, continuous improvement
- Five years' experience with a software development team
- Two years' experience working in a Scrum team environment
- Significant facilitation experience
- Demonstrated expertise in the Scrum Framework and Agile Methodology, including strong working knowledge of Scrum Values, Roles, Rituals, and Artifacts, as well as Agile Principles and Values
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and articulate project conditions (verbal & written)
- Ability to present and explain project information in a way that establishes rapport, optimizes transparency, and gains understanding
- Expertise in setting and managing stakeholder expectations
- Ability to coach and influence multi-disciplined and cross-functional teams
- Ability to maintain technical proficiency in current Agile Lifecycle Management software
- Experience with Agile Lifecycle Management software a plus
- Experience working comfortably and confidently with various levels in an organization