Crown Castle works around the country to build and maintain the infrastructure behind the world’s most revolutionary technologies. Crown Castle owns, operates and leases more than 40,000 cell towers and over 80,000 route miles of fiber supporting small cells and fiber solutions across every major US market. This nationwide portfolio of communications infrastructure connects cities and communities to essential data, technology and wireless service – bringing information, ideas and innovations to the people and businesses that need them. Crown Castle is an S&P 500 company and one of the largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in the United States with an enterprise value of more than $80 billion.
Position Title: Scrum Master - 6E
The Scrum Master’s role is to plan, coordinate and manage releases for the assigned Agile Release Train(s). This position requires working with the various business units and leading the development teams to deliver incremental business functionality. This individual works as the Scrum Master for the team(s) and facilitates all development meetings with the business and Agile Release Train members. The Scrum Master is primarily focused on leading the development teams and product owners in the use of the Agile/Scrum development concepts and principles for delivering new functionality to the business. This individual will apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of Agile best practices to guide the team on issues encountered during the software development life cycle. We are looking for individuals with a strong understanding of agile-scrum practices, gained through experience leading major business/digital transformation initiatives.
Essential Job Functions
- Guide the team and Product Owners on how to use Agile/Scrum practices to ensure a solid understanding of the ceremonies, expectations, deliverables, dependencies and their role in the Agile development methodology.
- Guide the team on how to get the most out of self-organization.
- Remove impediments or guide the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Build a trusted and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work
- Facilitate discussion, decision-making, and conflict resolution.
- Assist with internal communication, improving transparency, and disseminating information
- Support and educate the Product Owner, especially on prioritizing and grooming the product backlog.
- Provide support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and lead by example.
- Assess the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization, and coach the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable.
- Organize and facilitate all ceremonies - daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos and other project-related meetings.
- Ensure the teams are practicing, and adhere to, the core Agile concepts and principles and be voice of reason and authority to make the tough calls.
- Assist the development team with making appropriate commitments through story selection, task definition, and the definition of done.
- Continuously learn new tools and techniques to improve self and team.
- Recommend improvements and assist in changes to implement best Agile practices for software development.
- Participate in the organization and planning of the release schedules.
- Maintain regular contact with professional organizations, user groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with Agile project management practices.
- Ensure Agile-related project reporting, such as Burndowns and status updates, are relevant, transparent and add value.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline preferred; equivalent experience is acceptable
- First level Scrum Master certification (PSM I or CSM) is preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a Scrum Master for a software development team that diligently applied Scrum principles and practices
- Minimum one (1) year of experience with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Six Sigma, Lean Principles preferred
- Experience in how to apply different techniques to optimize the team’s effectiveness when developing in a Scrum framework (for example, various Burndown technologies, differing retrospective, sprint planning and DSU meeting formats, handling bugs, etc.)