Summary and Qualifications:
The Scrum Master works with multiple development teams and partners to build software and drive value for its users by coaching, facilitating, encouraging, and influencing a culture of continuous improvement while delivering value to our customers. The Scrum Master is essential to the Software Development Life Cycle within the Agile methodology.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Facilitates daily scrum, sprint planning, sprint demo and retrospective meetings.
- Resolves conflict and facilitates conversation by focusing on scrum values of openness, honesty and respect.
- Forecasts the numbers of deliverables possible in an iteration based on evidence and reliable source.
- Performs reliable and practical estimation and planning for software development projects.
- Guides teams on how and when to use Agile practices to drive value to customers. Clearly communicates "why" Agile to teams, partners, and stakeholders.
- Helps team or individual to clarify goals and actions to achieve them.
- Shields team from outside distractions and interferences. Assists with internal and external communication and improving transparency.
- Ensures the correct use of scrum process.
- Identifies and helps remove impediments to the success of Agile transformation and growth. Coaches, mentors, and evangelizes Agile best practices across the organization.
- Guides the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers.
- Builds a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem-solving.
- Responsible for strong leadership and mentoring numerous associates across a variety of teams.
- Enacts change & continuous improvement to increase the productivity of the team and quality of deliverables. Leads and coaches the organization in its scrum adoption.
- Manages and delivers complex projects
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume/ deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Business or related field of study required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Agile and Scrum Alliance Certifications is required.
- Minimum four years software development is required.
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least 4 years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory is required.
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc is preferred.
- Awareness and experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games is preferred.