Scientist, Structures & Mechanisms IPT Lead Mechanical Engineer
Harris Corporation is looking to hire an experienced Mechanical Engineer into the Space and Intelligence Environmental Solutions Environmental Sensors segment in Fort Wayne, IN. This engineer must have experience with the design and test of complex mechanisms, optical pointing mechanisms and precision structures for space borne optical payloads. The candidate also must have proven team leadership skills and have demonstrated the ability to manage cost, schedule and technical performance of development efforts for critical payload structures and mechanisms.
The selected candidate will perform the following duties:
- Perform, design and analysis tasks on complex mechanical hardware including precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical devices, aerospace mechanism design, complex electronics packaging, supporting space-based deployable mechanisms, avionics, innovative thermal and ground based systems.
- Program support includes mission/requirements definition, concept generation, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, component selection, integration and test support, materials selection, CAD 3D solid modeling, design documentation and collaboration with manufacturing operations for fabrication in a program team environment.
- In charge of various environmental testing activities ranging from development to final product qualification testing. Responsible for understanding customer needs, generating test procedures and finally executing the test.
- Establish key performance requirements and define requirements for support equipment
- Manage cost accounts using EVMS methods
- Conduct design reviews
- Responsible for cost and schedule of assigned hardware.
- Understanding of the different materials used in the design of optical/electrical assemblies and how to trade material choices
- 12years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree; or equivalent.
- 10 years supporting design decisions with well documented engineering analyses and calculations required
- 10 years experience and knowledge of mechanical test approaches to recommend appropriate testing of hardware in a complex integration environment.
- 10 years experience analyzing problems that focus and drive down to the root cause of problems quickly.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Top Secret or TS/SCI Clearance
- Master’s Degree and/or MPM endorsement
- Strong analytical skills with emphasis on using and/or directing finite element analysis (FEA) desired
- Has experience using EVMS cost and schedule practices.
- Able to work in large program environments and have good communications skills.
- Background in Space-based System Design
Job ID: SIS20182806-25637