The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Purpose & Scope:
We are seeking an innovative, highly motivated and energetic Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Hematopoietic Biology to join our team to develop human pluripotent stem cells (PSCO-derived hematopoietic stem cells/progenitors) for potential clinical applications.
The successful candidate will have the following:
* 1-3 years of post-doctoral experience and a strong background in both myeloid and lymphoid lineage differentiation pathways
* Hands-on experience with human PSC manipulation
* Expertise on cell lineage characterization using flow cytometry and immunofluorescence
* Cell isolation using FACS sorting, magnetic bead isolation
* RNA sequencing, and/or mass cytometry are also desirable
* Proficiency in performing cell-based functional assays for various mature blood cell types
* Working knowledge of preclinical transplantation, engraftment and/or immunogenicity studies are highly advantageous
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others
* Makes detailed observations, analyzes data and interprets results
* Exercises technical discretion in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project goals
* Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses. Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement
* Maintains high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature and novel technologies
* Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways
* This position interacts with all levels of management on a routine basis and influences strategy
* Works on complex and diverse problems giving guidance and suggestions
* Actions may have implications on operations, budget and/or credibility
* Minimum PhD level scientist with strong molecular biology, cell biology and/or biochemical focus; post-doctoral experience is a plus but not required
* Previous hands on experience in extracellular vesicle biology/characterization (EV isolation and biochemical/immunological methods for characterization
* Practical experience of fluorescence/luminescence-based cell reporter assays, cell imaging, confocal microscopy, FACS and/or RT-PCR
* Demonstrated understanding of cellular trafficking mechanisms, endocytic pathways, uptake and vesicle uptake and trafficking
* Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement, as evidenced by publications in high impact journals or drug development portfolio
* Ability to collaborate with external partners across multiple scientific disciplines
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time.