The Process Development team is seeking a Process Scientist interested in building expertise in developing separations processes for biomass and small molecules.
In this position, you will provide technical leadership on developing and demonstrating proprietary primary recovery processes at 2L&300L scale, with ultimate implementation at the >100 m3 fermentation scale. In this capacity, you will both lead and contribute to technical and multidisciplinary teams to identify, optimize and transfer cost-effective and robust separations technologies for novel fermentation products. To do this you will additionally need to partner with external vendors, technology providers and CROs to evaluate emerging technologies for recovery of biomass, secreted product, and intracellular products. Internally, you will partner with both Analytics teams to expand the suite of analytical tools that can be used to evaluate the mechanism and efficacy of various primary recovery methods, conditions and reagents as well as team with PD engineers in scaling up and costing novel recovery processes, and developing equipment recommendations for manufacturing deployment.
The position requires interactions with several disciplines, including research, fermentation PD, engineering, analytical chemistry, environmental health & safety, product development, and quality systems. Collaboration is key to moving projects forward, with safety as a priority.
* Display personal responsibility for individual as well as co-worker safety and maintaining safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies.
* Use modeling, experimental design and statistical analysis of data to guide scale-up and scale-down of primary recovery processes
* Execute experiments at the bench, test new equipment, and identify suitable analytics to progress recovery PD on new and existing processes
* Document and present project plans and outcomes to internal and external stakeholders
* Provide constructive feedback to PD team members on experimental planning and analysis
* Mentor, train and eventually supervise 1-2 associate scientists
* Partner with the pilot plant staff to scale-up new processes and develop tech transfer packages for manufacturing
* Support operations team in deploying, troubleshooting and optimizing manufacturing-scale processes around the world
* PhD + 3 years/ MS + 8 years in a R&D/PD role. Previous experience in flavors and/or fragrance applications highly desired
* Experience with at least 2 of the following operations at lab and/or pilot scale: extraction, adsorption, filtration, centrifugation and distillation
* Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment that requires strong project management and communication skills
* Experience with intracellular or toxic product recovery desired, but not required
* Scale-up experience highly desired, but not required
* Some experience with fermentation a plus.
* Travel up to 15%
* Embrace Amyris Core Value