Req #: 9764
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position: This position is within the Data Driven Modeling organization which utilizes a number of statistical techniques and analytical methods tosupport Corning’s Research & Development. The job requires an individual that is exceptionally strong in statistics and/or mathematics yet also possesses a technical aptitude to work with scientists from a number of disciplines. This candidate will be responsible for gathering existing data and/or generating new data to solve technical, business or project related problems. They should have experience with both the capture of data using different tools, management/manipulation of large data and extensive knowledge of a wide variety of data analysis methods. Data analysis tools and methods include, but are not limited to, linear and non-linear regression, multivariate methods, genetic algorithm, neural network, Gaussian processes and other machine learning techniques. The analytical work will support a range of projects from highly technical problems to commercial applications. This will also involve projects ranging from manufacturing, development and research. It is expected that this person will create predictive tools that will enable both business and technical decisions. The work will often require validation through exhaustive research of prior art relative to the problem at hand.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Develop new theories or expand upon existing theories using a combination of data and direction from project leaders
• Research all external and internal information relative to the problems identified by the project team
• Collaborate with existing subject matter experts to solve very difficult problems
• Participate on cross functional teams to develop and test hypotheses related to materials understanding
• Develop models using appropriate methods and software; expanding capabilities as needed
• Communicate results to teams and stake-holders as needed
• Document findings with internal and external publications
Travel requirements: Limited travel, likely <10% but that could include international for conferences, et. al.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Normal Business Hours 8:00-5:00 with additional hours occasionally needed for urgent project demands.
Education and Experience: Masters or PHD level graduate in Statistics and/or Mathematics complemented with formal classes in a scientific discipline such as physics, engineering, et al.
• Demonstrated experience and strong technical knowledge in data driven and predictive modeling
• Data Analysis Experience using any mix of software including, but not limited to: Matlab, R, SAS, JMP, Minitab
• Programming experience using C/C++, Java or R
• Ability to work effectively on diverse teams
• Ability to collaborate closely with scientific community, business leaders and management
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in Statistical Methods including DOE, Hypothesis Testing, Inferential Statistics, ANOVA and Regression Analysis
• Familiarity with physics-based modeling for technical fields such as CFD, Heat Transfer or Solid Mechanics.
• Interest in real world applications of Statistical Methods to problems in the sciences and technology.
• Programming Languages (i.e. VBA, Python)
• Proficiency in General Linear Models and Multivariate Analysis
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Must be collaborative and able to openly engage with colleagues to achieve project goals
• The ability to translate difficult technical concepts to broader audience
• Self-motivated with an ability to manage one’s own work independently
• Ability to communicate effectively by phone and video with team members in international locations
• Ability to take feedback constructively and use it for personal growth