Description: Scientist, Mechanical EngineeringJob Description:
The Scientist, Mechanical Engineering will report to the Discipline Lead for Mechanical Engineering. The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for a wide range of assignments, including design, analysis, and test of opto-mechanical, and electro-optical systems. These systems have demanding functional and performance requirements and must operate in extremely challenging environments. Mechanical Engineers will follow the product from conceptualization through hardware integration and testing, and will interface with Designers, Systems Engineers, as well as other discipline engineers, Program Managers and customer counterparts. Duties may include CAD design, detailed finite element analysis, vendor and integration support, as well as hardware characterization testing.
The selected individual will be responsible for the immediate technical oversight of multiple prototype development teams. The individual must demonstrate the ability to apply a solid understanding of engineering fundamentals and to lead a cross-disciplinary team to solve complex problems related to the development of opto-mechanical and electro-optical hardware systems.Essential Functions:
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to multiple cross-disciplinary Engineering design teams. Teams will be tasked with developing various types of ruggedized opto-mechanical and electro-optical systems and technologies.
- Prepare and review schedules, specifications, process standards, and other contract documentation in order to plan the successful execution of multi-year, multi-million dollar development efforts.
- Oversee or directly perform the conceptualization and development of working designs, computer models, layouts and drawings using MCAD/MCAE tools.
- Perform, guide or review various types of advanced engineering analyses to characterize and validate proposed designs.
- Participate (as a presenter and/or reviewer) in internal and customer design reviews intended to demonstrate design conformance to all derived requirements and customer specifications.
- Develop, review and approve engineering documentation, including product specifications, drawings, assembly procedures, and test plans/procedures. A comprehensive understanding of GD&T, as well as the principals of DFMA are required.
- Assist the Purchasing Dept. with procurement of product hardware including vendor certification, vendor oversight, product source inspection, and nonconformance disposition, as required.
- Support the assembly, integration and test of the product or prototype hardware. A working understanding of optical system alignment and hardware integration is a plus.
- Ensure quality through adherence to the Quality Systems Manual, applicable Standard Work Instructions and other standards invoked internally or contractually.
- Adhere to budget and schedule commitments.
- Lead technical proposal efforts as part of a program capture team: Conceptualize suitable architecture and prepare input text and figures for the proposal technical volume. Estimate the labor required to execute on proposed projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering required. 12+ years of experience in relevant prototype development and production required, experience hardware development for aerospace applications is strongly preferred, 10+ years with Master's degree.
- Knowledge and experience with FEA tools required, particularly FEMAP/NX Nastran and/or ANSYS are preferred. Proficiency with structural, structural dynamics, or thermal analyses is required. Experience in all preferred.
- Proficiency with computer design tools required (PTC Windchill, PTC Creo, MathCAD, Matlab preferred).
- Proficiency with GD&T and drawing standards is required.
- Must have the ability to obtain a US Secret Clearance.
- Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be results oriented
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work well with others and establish effective, ongoing relationships throughout the organization