Carry out product or applied research in the chemical sciences requiring appreciable originality and ingenuity. Works under general supervision with advanced knowledge in a particular field. Undertakes scientific related research and/or development activities. Carries out varied assignments which may involve original research and development, or makes a significant contribution to a commercial project. May coordinate the work of chemists and/or technicians. May represent the laboratory in outside discussions and technical forums.
Candidates for this position MUST HAVE prior epoxy formulating experience.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Identify and develop new global technology platforms for tile and stone installation systems, flooring products, maintenance chemicals, and other related areas as defined through growth and acquisition.
- Develop detailed procedures and high quality standards for the preparation and subsequent scale up of new technologies and products.
- Apply and maintain knowledge of cement chemistry and polymer chemistry.
- Carry out identification, evaluation, and development of new materials and joint development projects with raw material suppliers.
- Provide technology transfer support to global manufacturing and joint venture sites.
- Work with other technical resources (Scientists, Chemists, and Application Specialists) in the execution and transfer of technologies worldwide.
- Responsible for concise documentation, sharing, and teaching of new science and technology to other scientists, technicians, and manufacturing personnel.
- Use and be familiar with analytical methods such as polarography, chromatography, HPLC, gas and ION chromatography, atomic absorption spectroscopy, atomic emission spectroscopy, infrared and X-ray diffraction spectroscopy.
- Be familiar with and participate in the patenting process for various regions (North America, Europe, Asia).
- Have the ability to lead cross functional teams relating to the development and transfer of products and technology (r&d, production, marketing, procurement etc.).
- May have supervisory responsibility for Chemists and/or Application Specialists.
- Performs other directly related appropriate duties and assumes accountabilities as apparent or as delegated, including mutually agreed upon objectives.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a research and development laboratory environment with 3 years experience developing products for the construction or tile industries.
- Supervisory experiencepreferred.
- Proven ability to think and work independently with meticulously documented results.
- Proven work exposure to Production/Operations, Product Management, QC, ISO, Analytical, Product Development, Polymer/Adhesive Technology, Finance, Accounting and Marketing departments.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and have strong analytical ability.
- Strong verbal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Must be a self starter with ability to work on multiples projects simultaneously.
- Computer skills: Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Microsoft Project skills a plus.
- Bending and reaching to file. Infrequent ability to lift/move up to minimum of 50 pounds.
- Team Cooperation - maintain positive, cooperative, professional attitude with all LATICRETE employees and all customers.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in science (chemistry strongly preferred) with 10 years industry experience, Mastersdegree in relevant science with 7 years industry experience or Ph.D. degree in a relevant science (inorganic, cement, polymer) and related work experiencerequired.
- Must have or be able to obtain a passport and any required visas.