$80K — $100K *
Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000's of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are looking for an extraordinary scientist to develop NGS-based clinical diagnostic assays into robust clinical products. The ideal candidate will design and execute superior assay development plans, optimize assays for astounding efficiency and robustness, identify in-line quality control measures that ensure industry-leading data integrity. If you are highly experienced in developing novel diagnostic approaches for nucleic acid detection as well as assay optimization, have worked extensively with NGS workflows and are eager to do the best work of your life, we should talk!
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company's platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Staff Scientist
Location: Redwood City, CA
- Independently generate and evaluate new methods, technologies and processes.
- Design and execute experiments that ensure efficient and robust protocols.
- Achieve an ideal balance of assay integrity and work-flow simplicity through clever in-line quality control measures and assay monitoring strategies.
- Enable operational superiority through workflows compatible with automation.
- Assist in the design and execution of analytical and clinical validation studies.
- Act as a key contributor within integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new and improving existing clinical assay.
- Create and maintain SOPs in the context of a CLIA/CAP environment.
- Perform calculations and data analysis.
- Generate new IP to maintain Karius' leadership position in the field of infectious disease diagnostics.
- Perform other duties, as needed.
What's Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office, lab or clinical environment.
- PhD with minimum 5 years relevant experience building robust diagnostic products, or minimum 10 years without PhD.
- Demonstrated proficiency taking clinical diagnostic assays through research and development.
- Experience with product development in CLIA/CAP or IVD environments.
- Follow GLPs and SOPs, and adhere to all safety and company policies.
- Expertise with RNA- and/or DNA-based Next-Generation Sequencing sample preparation technologies.
- Must be an excellent communicator and able to summarize key findings, risks in a succinct manner including the ability to present information to stakeholders.
- Ability to anticipate and identify potential roadblocks to meeting goals and identify corrective actions.
- Display a high level of commitment and professionalism and is truly passionate about being at the cutting edge of science and generating the appropriate clinical evidence.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively and manage deadlines.
- Exemplary project management skills with the ability to build schedules and mitigate against timeline delays.
Valid through: 6/4/2021