NantKwest Inc., an innovative cell therapy company, is seeking a Scientist (Scientist I, Research and Development) for our Torrey Pines location in La Jolla, CA. The individual(s) will be responsible for approaches in support of our primary cell initiatives targeting cancer and other indications. We are seeking highly motivated and skilled individuals who will develop and implement approaches to assess the generation of NK cell therapies that can be sustained for product development. The individual will be responsible for developing and validating strategies for lentivirus production, NK cell or T cell engineering using lentivirus transduction, and characterizing primary NK/T cells. Individual will also involve in developing approaches to assess the phenotype, potency, and functional attributes of engineered NK-cells. Prior experience with primary lymphocyte experimentation is required. This individual will operate in a matrixed environment that spans across multiple functions, including Research and Process Development, Quality Control and Manufacturing Operations.
- Design, develop and execute strategies and approaches using lenti virus for generating engineered primary NK/T.
- Develop standard operating procedures for efficient lenti virus/retro virus production and characterization
- Develop appropriate analytical test methods for titer determination and product quality including flow cytometry based methods, plate-based reporter and other immunological assays.
- Design and execute new experimental approaches and new analytical technologies and assists with continuous improvement of analytical tools.
- Documentation of observations and data analyses with meticulous attention to detail, according to Good Documentation Practices (GDP), and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) where applicable.
- Author batch records, process development reports, SOPs, work instructions and tech transfer documents.
- Manage the project related reagent inventory and database.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Ph.D (with 0-3 years of experience) or MSc (with 5-7 years of experience) or B.Sc (with >10 years of experience) in immunology, cell biology, biochemistry, biological sciences or engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years of post-PhD experience in biopharmaceutical or pharmaceutical industry or academic institution required with prior scientific and technical leadership responsibility
- Ability to be flexible, innovative and highly organized to work quickly and efficiently in a growing biotech start-up environment is necessary.
- Hands on working experience with the lenti virus/retro virus production and characterization.
- Prior immunology experience including T cell and NK cell biology, lymphocyte isolation methodologies and propagation methods is preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in design of experiments and data analysis
- Ability to think critically, and demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Experience with immunoassay technologies such as, flow cytometry, MSD and ELISA
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and willing to accept temporary responsibilities outside of initial job description
- Able to manage multiple projects in parallel, including key participation on multi-disciplinary project teams