Catalent Pharma Solutions is hiring for an experienced Scientist I to perform Preformulation activities for our San Diego, CA team. The Scientist I, Preform will be expected to either lead projects as an individual contributor or to build and lead a team focused on preformulation and solid-state characterization for small molecule and peptide drug products and amorphous intermediates. The primary analytical tools will include HPLC, UPLC, DSC, TGA, PXRD, SEM, GVS, PSD, and Pion Pulse/uDiss. The individual will assist in the researching and introduction of new analytical technology to characterize drug products and will be the primary point of customer contact for preformulation strategy, compliance, and troubleshooting. The individual may also participate in continuous improvement projects and support department initiatives. There is an expectation of direct hands-on laboratory work and/or supervision of multiple direct reports and mentoring/training of other colleagues as needed.
The Role (daily responsibilities)
- Conduct and/or supervise preformulation studies to support drug development efforts for our clients (physical characterization, phototoxicity potential, log P/D, dissolution, solubility, stability, bulk/tap density etc.)
- Optimize/Internalize HPLC and UPLC analytical methods
- Perform and train others on a variety of analytical techniques including, but not necessarily limited to: analytical balances, pH meters, high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC/UPLC), UV/Vis spectroscopy, DSC, TGA, PSD, PXRD, SEM, and Pion uDiss/Pulse.
- Communicate results both internally and externally through oral and written updates and formal reports as necessary. Organize meetings and monitor all client interactions independently. Supervisor will be notified if their assistance is needed.
- Perform secondary review of other colleagues’ work for scientific accuracy and compliance
- Assist in the creation and/or revision of new department-wide and site-site procedures and company SOPs.
- Individuals will stay abreast of current scientific technologies to maintain the state of the art nature of Catalent’s services.
- Individuals will proactively communicate strategy to clients and draft addendums to contracts and write and provide initial review of new proposals as appropriate.
- Individuals will support the business aspects of their position by taking responsibility for the execution and billing communication for all work proposals under their supervision.
- Hire, train, and supervise preformulation group members as necessary.
The Candidate (requirements)
- BS degree (in a physical, chemical, biological, or pharmaceutical science discipline), from an accredited university, with 6 to 10 years of industry experience in preformulation or related techniques
- MSdegree (in a physical, chemical, biological, or pharmaceutical science discipline), from an accredited university, with 5 to 8 years of industry experience in preformulation or related techniques
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Previous supervisory experiencepreferred
- Relocation Assistance is NOT available for this position
Catalent’s standard leadership competencies that are used to interview and for Performance & Development
- Leads with Integrity and Respect
- Delivers Results
- Demonstrates Business Acumen
- Fosters Collaboration and Teamwork
- Champions Change
- Engages and Inspires
- Coaches and Develops
- Potential for career growth within an expanding team
- Defined career path and annual performance review and feedback process
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance and 401k are all offered from Day One of employment
- 19 days of paid time off (PTO) and generous paid holidays annually
About Catalent San Diego
Catalent San Diego, Inc. (Formerly Pharmatek Laboratories, Inc.) is a premier pharmaceutical chemistry development and manufacturing organization supporting the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Catalent San Diego focuses on bringing client drug compounds from discovery to the clinic with services that include analytical development, preformulation testing, formulation development, GMP manufacturing and stability storage and testing. At Catalent San Diego, we recruit and develop exceptional individuals with a passion for science and determination to excel. We offer a technically challenging and stimulating environment and the opportunity to learn from the best. We provide a generous benefits package, on-site gym and fitness programs, team sports, activities and competitive compensation.