Catalent Pharma Solutions is hiring for an experienced Scientist I for Oral Formulation Development at our San Diego, CA site. The Scientist, Oral Formulation will be expected to either lead projects as an individual contributor or to build and lead a team focused on the development of oral formulations and amorphous intermediates for small molecule and peptide drug products. The primary formulation platforms will include tablets, capsules, granules, beads, solutions, suspensions, immediate release and extended release dosage forms, and amorphous intermediates. The individual may research and introduce new formulation technology to produce and characterize drug products and will be the primary point of customer contact for formulation strategy, compliance, and troubleshooting. The individual may also participate in continuous improvement projects and support department initiatives, as well as evaluate new technologies to expand our service offering. There is an expectation of direct hands-on laboratory work and/or supervision of one or more direct reports and mentoring/training of other colleagues as needed.
The Role (daily responsibilities)
- Creates and develops innovative drug formulations using the techniques described above. Has a thorough understanding GMP and IND-enabling formulation strategies
- Performs and trains others on a variety of formulation techniques including, but not necessarily limited to: blending, encapsulation, suspensions, solutions, wet/dry/fluid bed granulation, tablet compression, coating, milling, spray drying.
- Responsible for the successful transfer of formulation projects to the GMP manufacturing team and for collaboration with process engineering team during technology transfer.
- Communicates results both internally and externally through oral and written updates and formal reports as necessary. Organize meetings and monitor all client interactions independently. Participate in and lead cross-functional teams.
- Performs secondary review of other colleagues’ work for scientific accuracy and compliance
- Creates and/or revises new department-wide and site-site procedures and company SOPs.
- Individuals will stay abreast of current scientific technologies to maintain the state of the art nature of Catalent’s services and will evaluate new technologies to expand our technical service offering.
- Individuals will proactively communicate strategy to clients and draft addendums to contracts and write and provide review of new proposals and change orders, as appropriate.
- Individuals will support the business aspects of their position by taking responsibility for the execution and billing communication for all work proposals under their supervision.
- Hire, train, and supervise formulation group members as necessary. Develop junior personnel for advancement within the team.
- Participate in BD and marketing activities by generating scientific expert content, hosting new client visits or teleconferences, and attending conferences or client visits to generate new leads.
- Responsible for maintaining GLP/GMP laboratory environment and maintaining a safe, clean laboratory.
The Candidate (requirement)
- BS degree, from an accredited university, with 6 to 10 years of industry experiencerequired in formulation development. Degree should be in physical, chemical, biological, or pharmaceutical science discipline to qualify.
- MSdegree, from an accredited university, with 5 to 8 years of industry experiencerequired in formulation development.
- PhD, from an accredited university, with 3 to 5 years of industry experiencerequired in formulation development.
- Strong communication skills (oral/presentation and written)
- Relocation assistance may be possible for qualifying candidates.
Catalent’s standard leadership competencies that are used to interview and for Performance & Development
- Leads with Integrity and Respect
- Delivers Results
- Demonstrates Business Acumen
- Fosters Collaboration and Teamwork
- Champions Change
- Engages and Inspires
- Coaches and Develops 0030032