We are seeking an exceptionally talented, highly creative and self-motivated Scientist to join our dynamic interdisciplinary protein engineering group. Tasks will include designing and executing biophysical and biochemical assays for novel enzymatic processes, including DNA clustering in nano-patterned surfaces, to be used in Illumina’s Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) platforms. The successful candidate will have a strong interdisciplinary background in experimental biophysics and biochemistry. The candidate will be working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams.
Preferred Educational Background:
- PhD in biophysics, biochemistry, chemistry, or bioengineering with exceptional publication and proven graduate work record.
Preferred Experiential Background:
- Broad experience with complex experimental design and assay development.
- Interdisciplinary expertise in two or more of the following fields: protein biochemistry, molecular biology, experimental biophysics
- Some familiarity with optics and instrumentation for fluorescence microscopy.
- Strong expertise in data analysis and visualization skills
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn, adapt or adopt findings from other fields of science
- Demonstrated ability to find unique and creative assay solutions to scientific problems
- Demonstrated capability of high quality work and keen attention to detail.
- Abilities to communicate effectively, work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment.
Optional Experiential Background that will distinguish the candidate from the norm:
- Knowledge of programming (Matlab, Python, C++, C# etc.) for complex data acquisition and analysis is a plus
- Experience in expression, purification and biochemical characterization of at least one nucleic acid interacting protein such as recombinase, polymerase, reverse transcriptase, helicase, SSB, chromatin remodeling enzyme, etc. is a plus
- Knowledge and experience with enzyme kinetics and protein conjugation chemistry & techniques is a plus.
- Experience with various single molecule techniques, such as fluorescence spectroscopy is a plus
- Experience of surface polymer passivation is a plus
- Experience with ultra-high resolution imaging techniques is a plus (STORM, STED etc.)
- Sound understanding of the latest genomicstechnologies, methodologies, bioinformatics and NGS is a plus
- 1+ years of postdoc or industry experience is a plus