Zymergen is hiring distinctive scientists to join our project teams. These teams design and execute ambitious strain improvement projects to create value for clients. They also coordinate activities and resources across the entire organization to ensure timely delivery against targets.
Projects teams work on diverse microbes and a wide range of target molecules which requires great broadness, creativity, and versatility within our teams.
Team members learn to apply software, automation, LIMS, and statistical data analysis tools to make rapid progress.
They learn business and communication skills to be effective partners to our clients. This group is multidisciplinary and welcomes truly excellent scientists from diverse backgrounds. We are currently looking for experts in any of the following areas:
- Enzymology and protein engineering
- Genetic engineering/ Genetic screens and selections
- Metabolic engineering
- Microbial physiology and metabolism
- Molecular biology
- Strain engineering
- Systems biology
Must have skills
- Hands-on, wet-lab experience with genetic engineering methodologies (e.g. DNA assembly, sequencing, transformation, integration, PCR)
- -OR- Hands-on, wet-lab experience with metabolic engineering of microbes for production of small molecules
- -OR- Good understanding of cellular physiology and metabolism for a variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes, e.g. on processes associated with target molecule production, including redox metabolism, energy usage, product transport, impact on growth and health, etc.
- Competent in using statistics to strengthen experimental design and enable robust data analysis
- Capable of developing and/or utilizing software scripts (e.g. python, JMP, R, SQL) to handle data
- Systematic & problem-solving approach to projects
- Minimum qualification is a PhD in Biology or related field or 5 years of industry experience in Biology or related field
- Subject matter expertise in some aspect of Biology with strong quantitative skills and some wet lab experience
- Goal orientation with the ability to get stuff done
- Versatility, readily applies previous knowledge to a new problem, field, or organism.
- Collaboration, enjoys working in a team, sharing work, and getting help or helping others.