$200K — $250K *
Bowhead is seeking a Scientist/Engineer – Senior to join our team in Vicksburg, MS to support our US Army Corps of Engineers customer at the Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) for a recently awarded Environmental Lab contract. The ERDC Environmental Lab contract is tasked with satisfying Army and Department of Defense (DoD) requirements which may include: biological and environmental studies, analysis of aquatic and terrestrial flora and fauna, as well as abiotic features (e.g., sediment, soil, and groundwater), biological processes, environmental research on imperiled, invasive, and keystone species, research on dredged material, water quality assessment, and basic and applied environmental research to determine the adverse effects of civil works activities.
The Senior Scientist will be responsible for assessing the effects of reduced floodplain inundation on benthic assemblages at known Gulf sturgeon feeding habitats in Apalachicola Bay, Florida. The goal is to have a set of data from multiple years under varying flow conditions and to determine whether benthic prey productivity is related to freshwater inflow into the estuary.
Essential functions will include:
• Using data obtained in the pilot study, will be responsible for developing and implementing a full-scale study to assess the effects of reduced floodplain inundation on benthic assemblages at multiple Gulf sturgeon feeding habitats
• Preparing written report(s) that include the results of all statistical analysis
• Performing a variety of laboratory and field procedures using established synthetic methods and techniques as well as conducting experiments and collecting field samples.
• Conducting and interpreting routine data as well as collecting a variety of samples
• Developing testing procedures; and directing activities of other contractors in the laboratory while maintaining accurate and complete files
• Recording test data and preparing reports, summaries, and charts that interpret test results
Requirements• A PhD in Marine Biology, Science or a related field is required in addition to at least seven to ten (7 to 10) years of experience in the field or related area
• Qualified candidates must have or be able to complete the AT Level I awareness training within 30 days of beginning work
• Must have knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures as related to biological and environmental studies
• Intermediate to advanced level skills in Microsoft Office software suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and outside contacts
• Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment with the ability to work alone or as part of a team
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED: Must be able to obtain a Secret clearance however candidates who currently hold and are able to maintain an active Secret clearance are highly encouraged to apply. US Citizenship is a requirement for Secret clearance at this location.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (https://uicalaska.com/careers/recruitment/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are a fast-growing, multi-million-dollar corporation recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting.
Valid through: 8/27/2020